Colts Owner Jim Irsay Facing Four Felony Possession Charges Following Arrest

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by DontKnowMe, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Why is that?

2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Can Goodell punish one of his bosses?

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

You can't be serious.

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Sure I can, explain to me why ownership should be held to "higher standards" than the rest of the league.

5. ragman

Irsay is a 54 year old man who should know what's legal and what isn't. He's not a 18 year old kid.

That being said, he'll probably get off with a slap on the wrist. Because we all know there's a double standard when it comes to justice in this country.

If Goodell doesn't come down hard on Irsay, it sends a bad message to the players.

LebaneseFF likes this.
  6. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Once again: Goodell cannot discipline one of his bosses. You know the commisioner works for the owners, right?

It's like you suspending your own boss for being late to work. It's that ridiculous.

Tarkus and 86WARD like this.
  7. LebaneseFF

LebaneseFF Error loading Staff Member Premium Member Fantasy Guru

I fully agree with you. However how do you punish an owner? Do you take away draft picks? Is that fair on the employees, fans and players of the Colts? How can he suspend him? I fully agree with you but what does Goodell do here?

8. LebaneseFF

And then you have TJ s point how do you punish your own boss? It s tricky

9. smeags

smeags militant geek

for off the field issues ? not sure but while i dont think owners should be held to a higher standard than players it should be equal.

which of course means nothing will happen.

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Eddie Debartolo says hello.

[​IMG]

Tarkus likes this.
  11. LebaneseFF

PRECEDENT I guess

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Right, I had forgotten about it, but IIRC the punishment was given by the rest of the owners, through the Commisioner, right?

So maybe Irsay can be disciplined after all, but it will not be Goodell's decision.

13. ragman

He also had $29,000 in cash on him in bags and a suitcase, I understand.

14. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

His wallet is a little bigger than ours.

15. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

No...

If the owners don't band together & kick his @ss, it sends a bad message to the players...

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Yes, exactly, nothing Goodell (or any NFL commissioner) says or does happens without the tacit approval of the owners and/or competition committee. He is their collective public face and mouthpiece...he's not a dictator, he's merely the owners proxy. He doesn't singlehandedly make the rules or decide the punishments for breaking them. He has some autonomy in the day to day ins and outs, sure, but when it comes to something this big, he definitely isn't doing crap without the backing of the people who pay his salary. I don't understand why so many people hate him so vehemently.

Eddies punishment was surely meted out and approved by the owners, but when you look back at the articles written about it at the time, it's always "Tagliabue fined and suspended Debartolo". Just like now it's always "Goodell did this or that", not "the owners collectively did this or that", even though thats the accurate way to look at it.

Aussie61 and TJ like this.
  17. ragman

18. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

he had 30k with him so you know he was also going out to stock up on whatever he was taking.just another dumbass like hoffman was,except this one is a billionaire.

19. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

The owners don't give a damn about anything but the bottom line. If they just slap his hand,they are stupid. especially after what they did to eddie debartlo because of that gambling scandal.

20. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro