Court: School Can Ban U.S. Flag Shirts for Safety

Discussion in 'Crossfire Discussion' started by Tarkus, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

SAN FRANCISCO — Officials at a Northern California high school acted appropriately when they ordered students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn the garments inside out during the Mexican heritage celebration Cinco de Mayo, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the officials' concerns of racial violence outweighed students' freedom of expression rights. Administrators feared the American-flag shirts would enflame the passions of Latino students celebrating the Mexican holiday. Live Oak High School, in the San Jose suburb of Morgan Hill, had a history of problems between white and Latino students on that day.

The unanimous three-judge panel said past problems gave school officials sufficient and justifiable reasons for their actions. The court said schools have wide latitude in curbing certain civil rights to ensure campus safety.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/court-school-can-ban-u-s-flag-shirts-safety-n40761

2. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Don't have a problem with it at all...

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

nope none at all but i'm sure the "super" americans will scream about civil rights being stripped away by this.

4. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I guess in a super American. I don't think it about rights but appeasement.

fuKing 5 de mayo isn't a freaking holiday bunch of freaking Tards

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

i hear you there but it was done to avoid possible violence so i'm ok with the better safe than sorry approach on this one.

6. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Wouldnt happen on my watch.

Omen likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It's not a holiday even in Mexico anymore :rolleyes:

8. Mike

Mike Want some Cheetos?

Cinco de Mayo is an American excuse to be blitzed. That is all.

Omen likes this.
  9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Wouldnt it be awesome if Mexico took the date of some obscure US event that is meaningless to most Americans and turned it into a huge national holiday that essentially mocks all the worst parts of American culture.

"Viva the 14th of January! We will drink Natural Light and Jack Daniel's by the metric freakton, and gorge on double bacon cheeseburgers (extra cheese) until we puke! VIVA AMERICAAAAAA"

An aside - Ive witnessed two shootings in my life on an up close and personal level and they were both on the same Cinco de Mayo, in Santa Rosa, CA. Crap was hairball, full on riot style.

10. smeags

smeags militant geek

you people act like this a new thing.

ummm ... hello .... st pattys day.

11. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

no problem with the officials telling American students to turn inside out their shirts to appease people from a different country? Why not tell the Mexican students not to wear their shirts? You think the Mexican gov't would do the same if American students in Mexico City wanted to wear flag shirts on the 4th of July? I think not.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well, 4th of july is a real american holiday. Americans down here celebrate it and it's ok.

May 5th commemorates a battle we won against the french in a war we eventually lost. It's not a real mexican holiday, we go to work and all. I really want to know who decided to celebrate such a meaningless date.

Omen likes this.
  13. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

isn't that your independence day? that is what was told to me. I have no problem with anyone celebrating their independence day. everyone should be free. or at least reasonably priced. I hope I didn't offend you with my statement earlier.

14. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Fans refugee

I think Mexico's independence day is somewhere in the middle of September. I could be wrong though.

15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Our independence day is September 16th

Buck Fenson and BoltzRule like this.