Cowboys Hit A 'Downturn' In Contract Talks With DE Anthony Spencer

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by SRW, Jun 6, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Cowboys have hit what a source terms a "downturn'' in contract negotiations with franchise-tagged defensive end Anthony Spencer, the problem being the club believes recent NFL deals have shoved the market value of comparable players down to the $5-million-a-year range, Mike Fisher of FOXSports Southwest reports.

The Spencer camp wants the recent five-year, $66-million extension given Packers linebacker Clay Matthews to be part of the conversation. Or, at least, the $8-million-year deal Cleveland gave pass-rushing linebacker Paul Kruger to lure him from Baltimore.

But three other NFL contracts hang like a dark cloud over Spencer's wishes of receiving a long-term deal in Dallas before July 15, the deadline to re-up him or else the one-time Pro Bowler will play out the season at the tag number of $10.6 million.

The three contracts the Cowboys are using as leverage: Cliff Avril's deal to move him to Seattle at $7.5 million a year but only for two seasons, so the total is only $13 million and the signing bonus is just $4.5 million; Elvis Dumervil's deal to move him to Baltimore at about $5 million a year; and another Seattle bargain, Michael Bennett's deal for just one year and $4.8 million.

Source: The Redzone

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

There's your problem. Spencer and his agent want an $8 million dollar a year deal, and the Cowboys want a $5 million dollar a year deal.

3. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

thanks, i didn't read that in the article.

that being said, give him at least 7 for three years and everybody can call it a day and be satisfied imo.

at least i will be.

4. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Mike Fisher, the Cowboys Insider on 105.3 The Fan, reported this at 7:30 this morning.

I don't know if I agree with you, though. You're going to give nearly a max contract to a guy who's almost 30? The Cowboys are in salary cap hell already. Why do something that makes it worse?