Donaghy Claims NBA Fixes Games

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by burnout2oo7, Jun 10, 2008.

1. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

In a letter filed by his lawyer, Donaghy claimed that the NBA urged referees in the 2002 Lakers-Kings series to call bogus fouls (the Lakers had 27 free throws in the fourth quarter of Game 6) against Sacramento in order to help the series reach a Game 7. The actual letter did not name teams or players, but the Lakers-Kings series was the only series of the 02 playoffs to go seven games.

NBA referees, influenced by cozy relationships with league officials, rigged a 2002 playoff series to force it to a revenue-boosting seven games, a former referee at the center of a gambling scandal alleged on Tuesday. Without identifying anyone or naming teams, Tim Donaghy also claimed the NBA routinely encouraged refs to ring up bogus fouls to manipulate results but discouraged them from calling technical fouls on star players to keep them in games and protect ticket sales and television ratings.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/06/10/betting.probe.ap/index.html

2. chiefswin19games

chiefswin19games Don't be defeated.

Feeble attempt at less jail time.

3. burnout2oo7

burnout2oo7 I Am Dawk's Broken Heart

Those are probably his motives, but 27 free throws in one quarter? That isn't a little suspicious? Especially when that team is trailing?

4. chiefswin19games

chiefswin19games Don't be defeated.

Yeah, that is a good point. At halftime, they showed Stern and he said that the instance Donaghy is referring to has already been investigated.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I hate the NBA...

6. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

So maybe they rigged game 2 of the Lakers/Celtics series? I think Powe Himself shot more FT's then our whole team, like 12powe, 10 lakers. But I don't believe that for a minute. Robert Horry changed that series, in game 4, Thanks to Chris Webber slapping the ball out to him, which actually was smartest thing you could do, just Horry happened to be standing there.

7. smeags

smeags militant geek

not the case, the feds have had this info since day 1. more like this is his re-action to the nba filing suit against him to pay for their legal fees over this.

8. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

If I was in his situation I would do the same thing. you want to spend less time behind bars

9. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

Yeah, I don't think the NBA mandated this but I wouldn't be surprised if the refs fixed it on their own. The games are called so inconsistantly that it really makes you wonder.

10. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

Oh man, the NBA is going to have a huge problem on their hands.

11. smeags

smeags militant geek

the lakers shot 27 free throws in ONE quarter in the game that is being brought up in this. :icon_eek:

12. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

He's on 60 Minutes right now, this is great stuff.

13. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

I believe it. These sports leagues are businesses and business are out to make money. I wouldn't even be surprised to hear players are being blackballed.

14. Roy31

Roy31 Hall Of Famer

Same here... I think his book could be worth a read as well.

15. smeags

smeags militant geek

when you think about it this makes sense because the nba blows right now. the game it is nothing more than street ball. horrible to watch if you are a purest but perfect if you're interested in nothing but espn highlights.

2 people like this.
  16. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Well said. But then again, Donaghy will say anything to minimize Bubba-time and this is the perfect game to point to and 'blame' someone else.