Eagles FB Leonard Weaver's Career Over After Catastrophic Knee Injury?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Eagles Pro Bowl fullback Leonard Weaver, who suffered a catastrophic knee injury on opening day, underwent a third major operation earlier this week, this one designed to help him regain the ability to lift his left foot, according to an NFL source with extensive knowledge of the injury. Weaver hopes to play football again, but the source said Weaver’s chances of returning to play professional football are “remote.â€￾ Weaver has not been able to lift his foot since getting hurt on Sept. 12 early in the second quarter of the Eagles’ game against the Packers at the Linc. The so-called tendon transfer surgery on Tuesday was Weaver’s third major surgical procedure since he was injured. In the tendon transfer surgery, doctors remove a tendon from an unimportant area -- generally the back of the patient’s foot -- and surgically attach it to muscles at the top of the foot, which when successful gives the patient the strength to once again lift his foot.

Source: Comcast SportsNet Philadelphia

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2011
  2. That would be a huge shame......hope he can try to make a return to the gridiron.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

i wondered if he was done. would be a shame. huge loss for the eagles when he went down. damn imagine the year if weaver didn't go down.

4. SoDev

SoDev Don't tase me, bro!

Yea, he was a beast with you guys and imagine him in the backfield with Mccoy and Vick... jesus christ.... who do you cover

5. I remember Weaver burning us with that 43-yard touchdown run in 2009.......they never had a fullback before who could do that.

6. smeags

smeags militant geek

yep, schmidt was, ok but you're right weaver is a beast.

vick, mccoy, weaver, celek, jackson, maclin.

sick.

7. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

It really is a shame because Weaver's a really nice guy.

8. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

First I've heard of this and it sounds absolutely awful. I lost the ability to raise my right foot due to compression of the nerve bundle just inferior to the knee. Took 5 months to get it back, but damn, what a life changing experience.
    What was the extent of the injury?

9. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Weaver updates his Twitter every half hour. 'watching tv', 'hanging with the kids'... nothing but time on his hands, I suppose.

I thought Schmit did very well. Weaver woulda been sick. It'd be a damn shame if he were already done.

We sure started the year pretty hecked up. Lost our center and Pro Bowl fullback before the end of the first game.

10. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

He luvs him sum Saved By The Bell.

11. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Man....that is horrible i remember when I tore my MCL and ACL, but crap...this sounds horrible.

12. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Poor dude hope he can regian movement

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Yeah, at this point it's sounding like it might be a quality of life decision. How much will he endure to come back and risk it all not being enough?