Eagles OC Pat Shurmur Praises "Outstanding" Rookie OT Lane Johnson

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by SRW, Jun 20, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur recently sat down with members of the media and gave his thoughts on the progress of first round pick Lane Johnson.

"Lane's done outstanding," said Shurmur. "He's played a lot of different positions but he's an outstanding athlete and he's really taken to our new system really well. He was involved in a no huddle based system in college so he has some familiarity with how we function. It's just a matter of him learning what we call the plays. "

"From a tempo standpoint, he's been doing great."

It's important to note that Johnson has taken quickly to the tempo of the new offense because that's more or less the reason he was taken. Johnson is arguably the best athlete to come out at his position in years and should be a perfect fit in an upbeat offense that not only demands a high level of fitness but also asks its offensive lineman to move around quite a bit.

Shurmur was also asked what exactly it was that attracted them to Johnson as a prospect.

"He's an outstanding talent number one. He's extremely tough. He's proven that he can play multiple positions so he understand the game extremely well. And as a blocker, we thought he was an outstanding pass

Source: SBNation.com

2. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Good to hear he's off to a nice start.

3. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

It's great to hear, but I read another piece that put my expectations in check of a rookie tackle. Almost never do they came out of the gate playing very well. Most take up to year 3 to really hit their stride. So while I know I'll want to kill him the first couple of years, just need to keep giving the kid playing time.