Eagles Owner Jeffrey Lurie Says Eagles Need More From QB Michael Vick

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by SRW, Aug 30, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

If the Eagles are going to be a Super Bowl team this season, it will be on the back of Michael Vick.

“We expect Michael Vick to have terrific year,†Jeffrey Lurie said at Lincoln Financial Field, before the Eagles’ final preseason game against the Jets. “That’s why he’s the starting quarterback. That’s why he’s been signed for a number of years. I have to say that Michael has been everything we could have asked and more in terms of the intangibles. Now we just need him to maximize that incredible God-given talent, stay healthy and deliver the kind of offensive performance that great quarterbacks can. This is a quarterback-driven league, and we will go as far as our quarterback play can take us, assuming that the rest of the team plays well.â€

Asked if he’s confident that Vick can play at the level of the other quarterbacks he mentioned, Lurie responded, “We hope so, but I’m not into prognosticating. I’m just saying we hope to see the elite Michael Vick that we saw the year before.â€

And what about his chances of staying on the field?

“No matter who the quarterback, but with Michael, it’s very important that he do everything that he possibly can to try to stay healthy,†Lurie said. “It’s not a precise science, and so you’re going to have Matt Schaub going out for the year and Tom Brady a few years ago and Peyton [Manning] last year. You’re going to have things happen, but you just try to up the odds of making sure it doesn’t happen. I think there’s things that Michael can do to lower the chances of injury, but it’s a volatile game, and that’s a rough and tough position.â€

Source: PhillyMag.com

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2012