Falcons Place Franchise Tag On CB Brent Grimes

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by Sweets, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Atlanta Falcons have placed the franchise tag on cornerback Brent Grimes, general manager Thomas Dimitroff announced on 790 The Zone, the team's flagship radio station. Originally signed by the Falcons as an undrafted free agent out of Shippensburg, the 5-foot-10, 185-pound cornerback has 248 tackles, 13 interceptions and 56 passes defensed in 58 career games. Grimes played last season under a one-year restricted free agent tender worth $2.611 million in base salary. Under the franchise tag, Grimes would earn $10.431 million in guaranteed base salary in 2012, once the contract is signed.

Source: Mac's Football Blog

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  2. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

ouch. $10.4 mill for Grimes ........... that hurts. he's good but $10.4 for a cornerback is a lot.

3. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

People's is up in arms here in the A. Most people wanted Abraham back and franchised

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nobody ever said Georgians were smart.

5. CaptainStubing

well, from the perspective of being the more important position, i agree with them. DE/OLB is a much more important position in today's game and Abraham may have a little gas left in the tank.

Grimes is a good CB............ a legit #1 guy but he IS just a CB

6. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

good secondary > good passrush

Just ask any Cowboys fan.

7. CaptainStubing

:popcorn:

8. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Yeah, ummmmm... give me young Brent Grimes in his prime over John Abraham.

9. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

Yeah but beside Abraham they don't have anyone else getting to qb. A young grimes won't be able to cover too long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

I like the move, a little expensive, but it's better than throwing the kind of money Abraham wants to stay at him. He's put in his work here, I have no qualms about letting him go if that's what it comes down to.