Falcons Swoop in for Hester

Discussion in 'Atlanta Falcons' started by vinceviga, Mar 20, 2014.

1. vinceviga

vinceviga Rookie

After much speculation about where he would end up after being cut from the Chicago Bears and even a story about his possibly retiring from the NFL, Devin Hester has been signed by the Atlanta Falcons to a 3-year deal. The Falcons announced the news today, but didn’t reveal any of the terms of the […]

Read the whole post here.

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I don't know if I'd say they swooped in to take him...

Definitely a mistake to sign him at this point. With the proposal on the table to move the kickoff up to the 40-Yard line, Hester would be a waste of a roster spot...

Tarkus likes this.
  3. vinceviga

vinceviga Rookie

Hester is just as much of a game-changer on punt return as he is on kick return. Consider the amount of times Atlanta's offense has sputtered out during long drives. Hester could do one of two things: He could give great field position on punt return and he could be able to make that quick cut inside. Tony Gonzales is no longer there to fill that void. Without it, Matt Ryan's only choice would be a jump ball to Jones or White. P.S. That proposal would never pass due to the fact that the last proposal got complaints about making special teams obsolete. This one has little chance.

4. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

IF/when Hester breaks the return TD record, I'm willing to bet it will be on a punt return.

86WARD likes this.
  5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Tony Gonzalez returned kicks?

6. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Hester hasn't been a game changer on kick offs for a long time. He's been a game changer on the salary cap tho...

He still may have a punt or 2 in him but unless the Falcons got him for a Great America season pass & a case of Cheetos, it's a waste. Sure, by the #s, he's better than what they had but it's too little, too late.

& if you're referencing the possibility of using him on offense, you haven't watched the Bears failed Frankenstein attempt. He was only on offense from sheer coaching stupidity & the fallacy that a great return man translates to a great offensive weapon.

He was useless in college beyond returns & his getting to the NFL wasn't going to do anything except expose his limited game. The Bears just drowned in their own Kool-Aid...

86WARD likes this.
  7. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

as a Saints fan I got to say I LOVE this move. Way to go Failclowns. Way to waste a roster spot on a guy that may play a couple of plays a game. Because you know with that "awesome" defense, hardly anyone will be punting against the Failclowns.

Saintsfan1972 likes this.
  8. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Do the Saints even have a kick returner on the roster right now?

9. Buck Fenson

Pierre Thomas has shown he can handle the duties.

10. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

Hahaha....do we even have a special teams unit???

Buck Fenson likes this.
  11. Buck Fenson

i think by union rules we have to field a special teams unit. gives them hope. LOL