Fantasy rookie need draft advice (8th pick)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football Advice' started by martymac83, Aug 28, 2014.

1. martymac83

martymac83 Rookie Premium Member

Hi Guys,
    So im very new to football. I just moved from Ireland to North america a few years ago and we dont have football back there, lol. This is my 2nd year in Fantasy so i dont know all the players i should to do great in a league. I did the custom cheat sheet so as long as i can trust that i will probably just be following that blindly. Ive already edited my yahoo pre-draft rankings according to that sheet. Do you have any ideas for a draft strategy? Im in a 10 man ppr league. 1QB 2RB 2WR 1R/W 1TE 1K 2IDP 4BN. Any help is greatly appreciated as the guys in my league bust my balls regularly for being a foreigner so it would be really nice to show up a few of them!
    Thanks

2. martymac83

Info on scoring settings

Head to head

Passing Yards 50 yards per point
    Passing Touchdowns 6
    Interceptions -2
    Rushing Yards 20 yards per point
    Rushing Touchdowns 6
    Receptions 1
    Reception Yards 20 yards per point
    Reception Touchdowns 6
    Return Yards 50 yards per point
    Return Touchdowns 6
    2-Point Conversions 2
    Fumbles Lost -2
    Offensive Fumble Return TD 6
    Kickers League Value Y
    Field Goals 0-19 Yards 3
    Field Goals 20-29 Yards 3
    Field Goals 30-39 Yards 3
    Field Goals 40-49 Yards 4
    Field Goals 50+ Yards 5
    Point After Attempt Made 1

Defensive Players League Value
    Tackle Solo 0.5
    Tackle Assist .25
    Sack 3
    Interception 2
    Fumble Force 2
    Fumble Recovery 2
    Defensive Touchdown 6
    Safety 2
    Pass Defended 1
    Block Kick

3. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

Make sure to follow your sheets. Since you don't have the ability to have a gut feeling on a particular player, you might want to read up on some of our past articles under the fantasy football section on the front page.

in a 10 teamer, you'll get a nice alottement of players since most league's are 12. if it turns out that eddie lacy falls to you, take him first. he's the last true RB1 left. You should wait on quarterbacks for awhile since you only get 1 point for every 50 yards. That's not a lot of points. 6 for a 300 yard game is terribly low. so i would load up on running backs and receivers and snag a quarterback around the 5th-6th round.

4. martymac83

Thanks for the advice. ill be following that cheat sheet like a bible (even though ive never actually read the bible, got smacked by it a few times though) Im gonna have to apologize in advance for all the dumb question im gonna be posting this season. ill have to buy you all an imaginary beer sometime for that. Draft is tonight so hopfully it works out 4 me.
    Cheerz!

5. SNPokc

SNPokc DEZ NUTS 2016 Premium Member

Depending on if it is an online draft or in person, online people generally go off the best available list ( All ranking) and fill up their starter positions first then do bench. Don't fall into that trap. Always take the player with the most value. On your cheat sheet it will be the guy with the most projected points and the largest gap between the next player at that position. So if your RB's look like 155 155 154 153 and your WRs look like 150 130 129 125, take the WR because the gap is greatest, and you are more likely to land on of those RB's whose projections are similar in the next round whereas you are unlikely to get that WR there.

Now if it is an in-person draft, it gets a bit different. Most people use ESPN's cheat sheet because it ranks all players out by position and fits on one 8.5x11 piece of paper. PRINT THIS SHEET OUT! It makes it so much easier to draft with that sheet available because you will see what everyone else sees, but they don't know what your rankings are. Position runs happen a lot more during in person drafts, don't fall into the trap, stay with the value strategy.

Also, don't reach too early for a defense and kicker in the last round, doesn't matter if every other team has taken one, The top kicker last year scored 170 in standard leagues, but it was also a part of a record setting offense, not likely to repeat. The number two kicker (157) was only 22 points greater than the number 10 kicker (125). To me that point differential is too small to justify taking a kicker before the last round, We just do not know which offense will be the most successful and it's actually more beneficial to play weekly match-ups with kickers since there will always be 20 starting kickers on the wire.

Hope this helps, welcome to your new addiction.

6. martymac83

So my draft went as follows. Any ideas for damge control? Top 25 leftovers bellow
    Thanks for any input

Nick Foles Phi - QB
    Calvin Johnson Det - WR
    Antonio Brown Pit - WR
    Montee Ball Den - RB
    Zac Stacy StL - RB
    Zach Ertz Phi - TE
    Andre Johnson Hou - WR

Phil Dawson SF - K

Terence Newman Cin - CB
    Dane Fletcher TB - LB

Bench
    Bishop Sankey Ten - RB
    Julian Edelman NE - WR
    Trent Richardson Ind - RB
    Jay Cutler Chi - QB

Draft Leftovers:
    Robert Griffin III Was - QB
    Brandon Marshall Chi - WR
    Carlos Hyde SF - RB
    Brandin Cooks NO - WR
    Terrance West Cle - RB
    Rueben Randle NYG - WR
    Jeremy Hill Cin - RB
    Bernard Pierce Bal - RB
    Mike Evans TB - WR
    Cecil Shorts III Jax - WR
    Justin Hunter Ten - WR
    Devonta Freeman Atl - RB
    Riley Cooper Phi - WR
    Kelvin Benjamin Car - WR
    DeAngelo Williams Car - RB
    Markus Wheaton Pit - WR
    Christine Michael Sea - RB
    Brian Hartline Mia - WR
    Charles Clay Mia - TE
    Owen Daniels Bal - TE
    Tavon Austin StL - WR
    Mark Ingram NO - RB
    James White NE - RB
    Kenny Stills NO - WR
    Danny Amendola NE - WR
    Jordan Matthews Phi - WR

7. martymac83

Side note, Aparently one of the guys in my league was high during the draft. He took 5 KICKERS!!!! No TE and No Def players. What he does have is is eddie lacy. whats my best trade offer? maybe drop cuttler and pick up a RB or WR from leftovers to trade along with an exsisting player on my team.

8. SNPokc

Hang on before anything else. Brandon Marshall is a free agent? Drop edleman or Richardson immediately and pick him up

9. martymac83

K so I dont know what happened there. Marshall is taken and I dont see any transacations in the league. I dont know

10. SNPokc

must have been a glitch in the matrix. He shouldn't be available on anyones wire. I'd stand pat on everything else, it's a pretty darn good draft.

11. Greg Brosh

Greg Brosh Local Eagles Fan Fantasy Guru

That "leftovers" pile doesn't seem right. There are a lot of players at the top who should have been drafted already. RG3 not drafted? Evans, Benjamin, Hyde. I'd also drop Sankey for Hyde

12. martymac83

Lol yeah, our draft was a bit of a gong show! one of the guys passed out drunk after his 2nd pick so one of other guys in our league who was drafting with him decided to completly screw him over. So he ended up with 3 qbs and 5 kickers. Yeah he is a real nipple!! So that left alot of players that should have been still on the list. I droped Sankey and picked up Hyde. Thanks for the tip.