FIFA Thinking About To Revoke The WC From South Africa?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sports' started by ollysj, Jul 11, 2008.

1. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

FIFA rules states that only two cities can have two stadiums in the tournament, and seeing as most of the WC-Ready Stadia is located in Melbourne exclusively, it would be unlikely that Australia would get it if the tournament being moved was required.

2. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

I thought the world cups usually went.. Europe-rest of world-europe-rest of world etc.

Then it would most likely be somewhere outside europe now.

3. Skeeve

Skeeve 1st Stringer

The current rules are aimed at spreading it further about than that and technically europe couldn't get it in 2018, but it doesn't seem a very sensible plan to ignore the countries that support football the best and have the best infrastructure and thats how england and france are being linked with bids for it. Obviously, this wouldn't be an issue for an emergency standin anyway.

4. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

FIFA wanted to expand it so all the continents would be involved. Asia did its part thanks to South Korea and Japan, but what does it say about the general state of the African continent when its richest country has a lot of problems fulfilling FIFA's requirements?

I don't know about Brazil, either. At this moment, Brazil is a glorified South Africa with all the crime rates and stuff. But they were already awarded the 2014 competition. Mexico is far from the country it was in 1970 and 1986, too. With our current political situation, I doubt we'd be able to host a World Cup as successfully as, say, any euro country.

One option that noone is talking about is Canada. They are rich, have very few problems and have the resources to build new stadiums and improve the existing ones. Soccer is an up-and-coming sport in Canada, too, so hosting the World Cup would do wonders for them.

5. RonMexico7

RonMexico7 Pro Bowler

^ Agreed, I didn't think of them. Toronto FC sells every game out I think and they hosted the MLS All-Star game which was a big hit. Toronto is really coming up because I wouldn' be surprised if the Bills moved there.