Fishbone loses $1.4M to woman injured by stage-diving

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by DawkinsINT, Feb 17, 2014.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Fishbone is one of my favorite all-time bands, and I'm not sure how I feel about this. Obviously for the woman's sake and the band's sake I wish it never happened.

When you go to a Fishbone show, you know Angelo will be stage diving. You need to expect it if you are up front. Not to say that she might not have been, because I don't know. Anyone who has seen their documentary Everyday Sunshine knows that they are struggling financially.

I'm worried that this will take away from not only Fishbone being as loose and crazy on stage, but it could affect other bands as well.

Not sure if anyone else here cares about Fishbone or its possible impact, but I've been thinking about it a lot for days.

The whole situation sucks.

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

well that brilliant idea backfired bigtime didn't it.

3. DawkinsINT

Yeah, they weren't painted in the best light due to some things they said, but announcing, "I'm going to stage dive now", definitely takes away from spontaneous musical emotion.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

never heard of the band,regardless the people who came there paid to have a good time and not get injured.no telling how much money they [the band] made that night so they should at least have to pay for this girl's medical bills and here recovery.

5. DawkinsINT

The band members are broke. The lead singer had to move back in with his mother years ago. Assets used to promote future gigs to help pay this may be frozen. The band may have problems getting new gigs anyway because they could be viewed as a liability.

Coachella has not pulled them from their line-up yet.

6. DawkinsINT

After reading the court documents, I do have more sympathy for the woman than I did before. Not that I didn't have any. But she was there to see The Specials. Fishbone opened for them, and she was not aware of their stage theatrics. I think she (her lawyers) went overboard with the amount in damages, but it's understandable that they wanted a lot.

7. DawkinsINT

Their FB page just updated:

Due to legal circumstances, we are limited in our response to the recent court ruling. We do not endorse or encourage disruptive behavior that results in injury. We do endorse self expression and feel strongly that self expression is a powerful form of artistic release, as it defines the punk rock subculture we, and hundreds of bands have been a part of since the late 1970's. We do not encourage people to come forth and participate in, for example, a mosh pit, if it is not something they are familiar with or beyond their comfort level. Our many fans are familiar with our show. The claim against us outlined what was a very unfortunate and accidental circumstance experienced by someone who had never been to a Fishbone concert. We'd like to encourage a discussion by fans, nonfans, the venues and promoters about artistic expression at concerts and how to move forward from here. - Angelo Moore, John Norwood Fisher and the members of Fishbone.

8. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I guess I don't have much empathy got this woman. Who doesn't know what goes in at most concerts. And some of the things she suffers from really from being unconcsias Lupas. That's crazy.