Former Jaguars Owner Wayne Weaver Regrets Firing Tom Coughlin

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by Sweets, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

With his time as the Jaguars owner coming to an end (the team will be turned over to Shahid Khan next Wednesday), Wayne Weaver took a look back at the past 17 years he was in charge of the organization. In this interview with the team’s official website, he was in a nostalgic mood and he shared perhaps his biggest regret as owner: firing original head coach Tom Coughlin in 2002. At the time, Weaver said the franchise needed to go in a new direction -- Coughlin had been there eight years at that point -- and pointed out, “There's a point in this business where you have to say, 'We need innovative new ideas, new fresh approaches,' and you have to move in different directions and that's what this is really all about.†A decade later, Weaver is remorseful about that stance (which, by the way, must make Jack Del Rio feel pretty special). “If hindsight you could change, I’ll be honest with you: I probably would have never changed Coughlin,†Weaver said. “I would have tried to have Tom take a step back and just be the coach. I thought about it, but I didn’t think Tom would do it. I thought Tom’s pride would never allow him to take a step back and me take the general manager’s position and all power and say, ‘Go coach the football team.’ He did that in New York, but I thought it would hurt his pride too much.â€

Source: CBSSports

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2011
  2. kenman923

kenman923 Rookie

A little late for that now. It will be interesting to see which direction the Jags will go now.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Some people just shouldn't be owners of sports franchises. Wayne Weaver is/was one of them. Didn't think Coughlin would buy in to being just the HC? I'm sure Coughlin preferred being fired over discussing this option with the idiot owner.

4. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

coughlin was obviously better off leaving. i really don't see coaches having a ton of success in jacksonville unless this new owner surprises me.