Free Agent QB Alex Smith Visiting Dolphins

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins' started by Sweets, Mar 18, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Not really, worst case scenario they have to roll with Kaep a little earlier than planned, and he holds more promise for the future than Alex does. Smith pretty much is at his ceiling IMO, and unless Kaep completely flops, he should be able to pretty much equal his production last year, at the very least.

IMO if anything the fact that Alex is finally looking elsewhere is an indication the team has told him Manning is likely to happen and he needs to start exploring other options if he wants to start in 2012.

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Agree 100% and Manning probably has already told them his jersey size and helmet size. I'm very accepting at this point that the Cards will have to play well to get a wild card birth for the next 3-4 years.

4. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Settling for Kaepernick if they lost out on both would be a major step down for a team with almost all the pieces in place to make another run at the ring.

5. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I don't really think it would be though...it's not like Alex did anything special that any number of other qb's couldnt have done in his postition. For the most part he wasn't asked to do a whole lot at all other than not heck up and turn over the ball. I'd expect a few more mistakes out of Kaepernick than Alex just because he's young, but it would be the same MO as with Alex, rely on the run and defense, dont ask the qb to do anything he can't, and expand the gameplan as he becomes more comfortable. It worked with a guy who had been a total POS up to that point on the field in Alex, I dont see why it wouldnt work as well with the guy Harbaugh drafted to do it, and a guy who brings a lot more potential and raw ability to the table than Alex does to boot.

Ideally it wont be an issue in a couple days, but I'm not super concerned if it is. It wouldn't be anywhere close to as good as getting Manning, but I see it as a lateral move at worst from Alex.

6. 86WARD

86WARD -

Lol...I'd watch it...

7. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

When it involves losing Alex Smith, no one is getting screwed. They could have slotted in Kyle Orton and had themselves an upgrade.

8. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

Don't forget, Garrard is still hanging out there and could serve as a veteran presence for Kap, if not the starter for SF.

If Peyton signs with Tennessee, Hasselbeck gets cut loose too....I think SF has plans ready to go

9. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

why would Alex Smith wanna go to Miami. The Niners were one game away from the superbowl this year. I dont see the dolphins anyhwere by the superbowl

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

there are rumors that the phins and smith are negotiating already.

maybe smith is so pissed at the niners talking to peyton that he just wants to leave?

11. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

I don't know why, but after so many years of taking crap, taking so much blame, so many different OC's, HC's, while not bashing anyone along the way and then to almost reach the SB only to be let go, I kinda feel bad for the guy. I don't care where he ends up or how he does, he just seems like the guy left at the altar.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

rumors I'm hearing now is that Smith has reservations about signing with Miami so the deal may not get done, waiting to see some reliable info.

13. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

14. 86WARD

86WARD -

With Manning in Denver, Smith has to swallow the pride and sign with the Niners.