FS Dashon Goldson OK Playing Under 49ers Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by Sweets, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The San Francisco 49ers and franchised safety Dashon Goldson have until 4 p.m. ET next Monday to reach a multiyear extension. While Goldson would like a little more long-term security, he is prepared for the possibility that he will have to play out the season under his $6.212 million franchise tag. "I’m hoping something long term will happen," Goldson said during a Tuesday appearance with Alex Marvez and Randy Cross on SiriusXM NFL Radio. "I’m not taking anything personally. I look at it as a business move on (San Francisco’s) part. That’s just the business. "If I have to play for the tag, I’ll play for the tag. But any guy would love long-term security." After his first two seasons as a starter, Goldson turned down a five-year, $25 million contract offer from the 49ers and became an unrestricted free agent after the lockout. Though he drew interest from the New England Patriots, Goldson returned to the 49ers on a one-year deal worth $2 million. Goldson, who had a career-high six interceptions and earned Pro Bowl honors for the first time in 2011, has not yet signed his franchise tag, he could be seeking a contract similar to the $7 million per season that franchised safety Michael Griffin received from the Tennessee Titans, or perhaps the $8 million per year that San Diego Chargers safety Eric Weddle received after last year's lockout. "All these one-year/one-year (contracts) is not what any player would want," said Goldson. "We know what we put our bodies through and what we do for our teams. But it’s all good. There’s no love lost or anything like that. I just hope something will get done. If not, I’ll still be a 49er."

Source: NFL.com

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

of course he is, hes really not good. the occasional splash play on a stacked defense doesnt make you a superstar. He was looking for more than griffen, but griffen hecked him lol

3. mtzninersfan

mtzninersfan 1st Stringer

I dont agree with that at all. What do you mean "hes really not good"? Hes a probowler. Sure the D makes him look better then he may look on another team but hes still a great safety. He gets picks, hes great in run support and he flies to the ball. But, is he worth what hes asking, nope.

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

i mean hes ok, expendable...doesnt deserve top safety money

5. bossco

bossco Rookie

100% agree. He is a hawk on d and wr's feared going in the middle because they knew he was going to knock them out or take the ball from them.

9ers n lakers on my razr maxx(tapralk)

6. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Goldson was a man possessed last year. One more year like that and he's going to command top dollar.