Giants Unlikely To Fire Coach Tom Coughlin Even If Team Loses To Redskins?

Discussion in 'New York Giants' started by BigBlueBruiser, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Sports Illustrated's Peter King does not believe coach Tom Coughlin will be fired even if the Giants lose to the Washington Redskins in Week 17. A loss would assure the Giants of a spot on the couch during the postseason, but King says his "gut feeling" is that Coughlin will be back in 2011. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher has reportedly listed the Giants job as one he'd be willing to take, which could ultimately sway the franchise's decision.

Source: RotoTimes

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2010
  2. Alcohol_IV

Alcohol_IV eBattle Champion

Fire Manning for throwing all those INTs.

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I'd prefer Coughlin over Cowher if I were a Giants fan.

4. It would take a Packer like thrashing against the Redskins for this to happen....but that's unlikely to happen with Grossman under center.

But if the front office ultimately decides that a change is best for 2011 and beyond.....I'll stand by it. If Cowher is the next man up......the G-Men will go back to a 3-4 defense for the first time since the Parcells/L.T. era.

5. The thought of Pierre-Paul, Osi and Tuck as 3-4 linebackers is flat out scary.

I think JPP would be Cowher's new James Harrison/Greg Lloyd.

6. nixaler

nixaler Pro Bowler

The mistakes the GEEE-Men made yesterday have nothing to do with who the HC is... Its not like Coughlin doesnt know football... It seems they need some help in the secondary and a new DC, not a new HC. Just my opinion

7. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Turnovers don't help either. Way too many all year long.

8. The Mullet

The Mullet Reptile Guru

Firing him would be a stupid move IMO. BTW, seems like Cowher is going to coach for like 4 teams next year! That is skill, but I'm worried about conflict of interest.

9. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Coughlin will probably find a way to stay alive. Hell, they make the playoffs then I say that Coughlin will have nothing to worry about.

10. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I don't know about that. If they make it to the playoffs and end up in a game with Philly and lose again, I can't imagine the Front Office being okay with that again. Coughlin is surviving based ONLY on that Super Bowl Victory. At this point he's playing with fire and needs to make some sort of run or else he's OUTTA HERE!!

As an Eagle fan I hope Coughlin stays in NY for a LONG LONG time.

11. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Eagles front office was ok with 3 thumpings from the Cowboys in one year, They made player personel moves instead of firing the coach, who knows.. Seems like Coughlin is under fire every year, but makes it out alive.

12. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

While this may be true, the Eagles owned the Cowboys in seasons past. Dating back to 08 the Giant's can't do crap against the Eagles and was it 08 they got booted in the first round against the Eagles? I don't know how the FO will keep Coughlin in place but as you said, he somehow always makes it. It makes you wonder if he has some tape of Tisch and Mara with some teenage boy hookers or something.

13. I'm one of the biggest Tom Coughlin supporters around.....he's a nonsense coach but also lightened up some in recent years.

But at some point.....you can't keep living off of the past if things haven't been going right for a while.

It's also dangerous ground imo to have a coach like Coughlin enter a season as a lame duck coach, his contract expires after the 2011 season. Under Giants' policy....they generally don't let coaches enter a "lame duck" season.

So regardless what happens in the final week of the season....there will be a lot of discussions whether to keep or fire Coughlin, extend his contract or go against policy and let Coughlin enter the lame duck year as a sense of urgency for him to turn things around in 2011.

14. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

I can't imagine them extending him. That would be nuts.

15. Brooklyn

Brooklyn AKEKEKEKEKE!!!

old fuk coughlin is back to his old ways..fire this old man

16. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

NO SLEEP TIL!!!!:icon_twisted:

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not a big Coughlin fan and given the choice between Cowher and Coughlin, I'd take Cowher (b/c of the history with the Steelers.) However, they are very similar as far as "results/production" goes, so why fire a coach and replace him with something that is very similar?