GMs Support Visor Mandate For New Players

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by Sportsguy, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Sportsguy

Sportsguy AKA-Sportsguy9695

The NHL's general managers on Wednesday endorsed a series of changes recommended by the league's competition committee, including making visors mandatory for new NHL players starting next season.

The GMs also like the idea of hybrid icing, which is expected to be introduced in preseason games next season and could be implemented during the regular season, former player Mathieu Schneider, who is special assistant to NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr and who chaired the last competition committee meeting, said Wednesday.

The proposed changes will now go before the NHL's Board of Governors for final approval.

"I think the GMs are real excited about the visors being made mandatory for the rookies coming into the league," Schneider said. "Everything else we had discussed previously and had agreement on, but our purpose coming here was to make sure that there were no further questions and a little bit of understanding on their side of what goes on on our side of the process and how we come to consensus on things."

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2013
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think something like 60% of players wear shields already and at some point, I think they mandated it in the AHL so it's not that big a change for these guys.

I think it's mandated in some other leagues as well...

3. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

This shouldn't be a problem. Players grow up wearing visors and full cages. It's not like they are forcing some major change

Sent from my LG-MS870 using Tapatalk 4 Beta