Jaguars Move Early In Free Agency

Discussion in 'Jacksonville Jaguars' started by Jammin Jaguar, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jammin Jaguar

Jammin Jaguar English Student.

The Jaguars have acted quickly in FA and gone out and gained a lot of new players who hopefully will bring good things to the team in 2008. Williamson, Porter, Lemon and hopefully Drayton Florence...

Thoughts?

2. Paul33

Paul33 Guest

I'm not sure about the Porter deal. He potentially fits the mould of the #1WR we needed- but I can't help wondering whether if we had waited we could have tried to trade for a guy like Roy Williams or Ocho, assuming the rumours are true that they might be available by trade. That said though, if we had waited we may have ended up with nothing.

I am of the belief, which may be biased, that our WR corps was never as bad as some ignorant outsiders claim. Last year was solid enough and essentially we have just added Porter and lost Wilford, which is an upgrade, in my view.

I think (and hope) Wilford will do well in Miami.

Williamson, as I said in the other news thread, is well worth the gamble. It says undisclosed draft pick but if it's a 6th as I heard, then it's no more a gamble than the average 6th rounder had we kept the pick. Plus we raped the Hawks last offseason of an extra pick for Alvin Pearman, who I was prepared for us to cut anyway. I'm amazed we got a pick for him.

Florence sounds a nice signing if we get him, hope that one comes off. Big upgrade on Cousin in the nickel role and the type that can put the pressure on Williams and Mathis to perform to keep their jobs.

Although Cousin, Starks and Glenn last year were solid within their defined roles, none really were ever going to threaten to steal a starting role where I think Florence could start if he performs, so it should light a fire under the others asses and get improved play from them.

Lemon, again, not sure. Again we could have waited to see what else was out there, but then again we could have waited too long and missed the boat. Despite the Bouman resigning, which was probably insurance, I still think and hope we draft a mid round QB. I fancy Henne in the 3rd should he fall that far.

3. Ridin Burgundy

Ridin Burgundy on the Magic Bandwagon

While your recieving core wasn't exactly bad last it was still one of the weaker units on the team so it makes sense for them to go out and improve it.
    It could be the final piece that makes the Jags a real contender.

I always quite liked Porter and he should thrive in a good situation like he is now.

4. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

I'm not sold on Porter or Williamson. The Jags #1 priority to me was getting a big time #1 WR and, they haven't done it yet. Porter just reeks of wasted potential and broken hearts. I may be wrong but the guy needs to stay healthy for once and prove what he can do.

5. JAUK32

JAUK32 The "M" Pire

Lets hope the coaches can do something with Williamson and I think porter coming out of oakland will be a good fit hopefully we get florence since we are not very deep at corner

6. bizell

bizell NFL-Fans refugee

williamson was garbage in minnesota.

porter i'm not really sold on either. and drayton florence is your third cornerback making big $$$? i'm not really sure about that move.