Jason Garrett Says Lack Of Turnovers Led To Rob Ryan's Firing

Discussion in 'Dallas Cowboys' started by Sweets, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said the No. 1 reason for a change in defensive coordinators is the lack of turnovers that were being produced under Rob Ryan, Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

The Cowboys had only 16 takeaways last year and 21 the year before.

Garrett noted that the Bears led the NFL with 44 takeaways this year. (Last year, the league leaders, the 49ers and Packers, had 38). It’s no coincidence that the Cowboys went after, and got, Bears defensive coordinator Rob Marinelli to rejoin his former boss, Monte Kiffin, in a remake of the Dallas defensive coaching staff.

“The Bears had 44 takeaways. We had 16. That’s 28 more opportunities with the ball,†Garrett said Tuesday at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. “Give me some of those 28 opportunities. That’s something that we really sat back and thought a lot about, had a lot of discussions about – what’s the best way to try to achieve that, and then, ‘OK, you want to do that, now who are the guys who can help implement that?’ â€

Marinelli was a defensive line coach for Kiffin when Kiffin was defensive coordinator at Tampa Bay.

“We feel great about Monte and Rod, added to the other the guys on our defensive staff who we really like,†Garrett said. “And then similarly we have to do the same kinds of things on offense. Let’s address some of the things that we think we can get better at with these staff moves. And that’s certainly why we’re here.â€

Source: The Redzone

2. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

Sugar coat it any way you want Jason.

3. Lddbck

Lddbck Little League

Our corners sucked the year before. And this year the middle of our defense was rebuilt each week after injuries. Maybe that had something to do with turnovers. But hey anything that makes him sleep at night. Cause after next season he my be the one looking for a job.

4. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

It may not take that long!

5. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I don't think it will be just Jason looking for a job. If the Cowboys don't do better than 8-8 next season, I have a feeling Callahan will join him.