Jay Cutler, Alex Smith - Who Is Better?!?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by misfitz, Sep 14, 2012.

1. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Here's what I do not understand whenever another quarterback has a bad year like Cutler is having its excuse after excuse of oh its his oline or oh its his recievers but when those same things where happening for Alex those were just Alexcuses and he was terrible and now that he has a good line and coaching he is all of a sudden a good qb again.........I just dont get how those "excuses" are valid excuses for other QBs bad play but with Alex its invalid.

Oh and Alex didnt really have 5 years he missed a year with a shoulder injury and played 6-7 games with a severely injured shoulder.

Are you saying that Joe Montana would be the same Joe Montana without Walsh or Jerry Rice or without that really good defense we had?

2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Joe didn't always have Rice and Young had more hookups for TD's(if I'm not mistaken) then Joe did so yes I think Montana would still have been an elite QB..I'm saying that I prefer Cutler with OUR offense and defense. Who really cares what excuses people use, Smith is winning right now and take it for what it's worth...I like that Smith is playing good right now but I'll never be an Alex Smith fan...it is what it is...

3. misfitz

so you do not think that the genius of Bill Walsh played a part in making montana elite? Steve Young was considered a bust before he came to SF and learned from Walsh...........Walsh resurrected Youngs career. Also you know what those two players had their entire career.......CONSISTENCY it was always the same system. Aled had 6 systems in 6 years and for 6 years he never had the same #1 WR hard for a QB to maintain any level of timing with so many things constantly moving in and out.

Rookie year he was throwing to Conway and Lloyd(when he was pretty terrible)
    2nd year he was throwing to Bryant and Battle(Bryant was suspended for a few games)
    3rd year he was throwing to Jackson and Battle
    4th year hurt
    5th year he was throwing to Bruce and Morgan(Crabtree started some games late in the season but no TC and missed 6 games.)
    6th year he was throwing to Crabtree and Morgan.
    7th year he was throwing to Crabtree and that was basically it

His one consistent player has been Vernon Davis and it really shows as they have great chemistry together. A revolving door of systems and WRs and terrible O-line and coaching is a lot of the reason Alex failed.

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

ok, I get it you love you some Alex...I don't...

5. misfitz

I dont think Alex is top 5. I respect what he has been able to do and I do think that he is better then Jay Cutler.

I also think you cant disregard the role that coaching plays in a players development.

Harbaugh is an elite coach and he elevates the players he coaches. There is a reason why people say coaching matters. Once Alex got competent coaching he was magically a better player......surprise surprise

6. URL54MVP

URL54MVP Pro Bowler

A better thread title would have been "I'm biased, I love Alex Smith and dislike Jay Cutler so come argue with me pointlessly for a few pages." :)

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I think 86ward actually made the thread title, fwiw. This thread started as a collection of posts moved from other threads.

8. misfitz

so tell me why Jay Cutler is better then Alex Smith? stat wise Alex has outplayed him. What makes him a better Quarterback then Alex Smith right now

9. bossco

bossco Rookie

You could say that about lots of players. What if Randy moss was drafted by the bucs and had no CC to mentor him. Or joe Montana to the eagles and they forced him to throw the long ball and not the west coast short game. The situation is everything. Cutler might have been something special if he would have stayed under shanahan. Denver at the time had a decent o-line and quick passes.

9ers n lakers on my razr maxx(tapralk)

10. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

why is this thread still alive? it reeks of homerism.

if you want to go off stats then romo is like top 5-6 qb in the league over the last several seasons but people never want to go off stats when it comes to romo. therefore i'm inclined to say stats are irrelevant in this discussion as well.

11. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Someone hasn't read any of Sweets' posts in the thread.

12. misfitz

please provide me with valid reasons why Jay Cutler is better then Alex Smith. I have provided multiple reasons and everyone who disagrees just says stats dont mean anything or Smith plays on a better team they havent provided anything to counter my argument.

13. bossco

bossco Rookie

Romo is better then alex smith and cutler. last year if he would of had a good D who knows how far they could of gone. I would take romo any day.

14. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Can this be summed up by saying Jay has more raw talent than Alex Smith? And that Alex Smith is on a better team, has had a better career, and hecks up alot less than cutler?

I think all in all, Cutler has more"upside", but Alex Smith has been the better NFL quarterback to date.

15. bossco

bossco Rookie

Sounds good.

16. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

[ame=http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/0ap1000000063502/Alex-Smith-the-real-deal]NFL Videos: Alex Smith the real deal?[/ame]

17. RichLikeWh0a

RichLikeWh0a Hermhater = Nemesis

I read them. But that doesn't at all change the fact the thread reeks of homerism.. I'm not sure what your point is here. The thread starter and main contributor is blatantly being a homer.. lol

18. misfitz

How? I have provided facts to back up my argument but you just say i am being a homer. The facts are there and they show Alex is better RIGHT NOW. Mind telling me why you do not agree or is it because of Alex's previous reputation?

19. misfitz

Post season stats
    Jay Cutler(1-1)
    21/42 50% completion percent 350 yards 2 passing tds 1 INT 2 rushing tds 53 rushing yards 84.8 Rating(NFL)

Alex Smith(1-1)
    36-68 53% completion percent 495 yards 5 passing tds 0 INT 1 rushing td 70 rushing yards 101 Rating(NFL)

more stats that show Alex> Jay

go ahead and twist them around

20. smeags

smeags militant geek

proving your qb is better then another mediocre qb - awesome. :cope: