Jets Can Extend Darrelle Revis' Contract If CB Holds Out Of Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sweets, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Jets could be heading for another summer of issues with Darrelle Revis' contract, Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports. If the Jets indicated to Darrelle Revis when he signed his four-year $46 million deal to end his summer-long holdout one week before the season opener in 2010, that the deal was two-year band-aid and they would negotiate again in 2012 — that’s what Revis believes — then they need to pay him. They pushed $32.5 million in the first two years of his contract and he is making below market $13.5 million over the next two years, regardless of any promises, Revis is going to have a hard time gaining public support if he holds out again and he’s not concerned about any backlash because it got pretty bad two years ago. “I don’t know if you looked at my Twitter,†he said. “I was getting death threats and everything. I’m getting stuff now on Twitter.†As part of the contract, if he holds out, the Jets can extend the deal three years at modest numbers. If Revis plays out the contract, the Jets can’t franchise him in 2014, that means they would have to renegotiate next year because there is no way they will let him become an unrestricted free agent after the 2013 season and the gamble of waiting for Revis, of course, is the fear of injury. But he is fearless when it comes to challenging the Jets. “I’m a corporation, too,†he told me the other day.

Source: The Redzone