Jim Harbaugh Agrees To Five-Year, $25M Deal To Become 49ers Head Coach

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jan 7, 2011.

1. All week, Jim Harbaugh had a good feeling about making the jump to the NFL and joining the San Francisco 49ers -- just the way mentor and late Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh did more than 30 years ago. Harbaugh signed a five-year, $25 million contract, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. Declaring it a "perfect competitive opportunity," Harbaugh accepted the job as coach of the 49ers on Friday and said his goal is to win a Lombardi Trophy for "one of the legendary franchises in all of football." "I can feel the enthusiasm coursing through my veins right now," said Harbaugh, who was going to team headquarters Friday night to get to work. "I accept this competitive challenge willingly." While Harbaugh said he had all but made up his mind to accept the 49ers' offer following a meeting of more than six hours that went into Wednesday evening, he took a couple of days to hear out his other suitors and do his "homework" -- and "do some soul searching" as new 49ers general manager Trent Baalke put it. "I knew in my heart and my gut the right decision was with the San Francisco 49ers," he said. For Niners team president and CEO Jed York and the front office, landing Harbaugh was the first goal. "This is a very happy day but our work didn't end today," York said. "It just begins today." "Losing is not an option," Harbaugh said.

Source: ESPN

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  2. I'll update the article once more info comes out......

Welcome back to the NFL Jim.....:peace:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB2tYYYlwMc]YouTube - Scott McKenzie - San Francisco[/ame]

3. I'm glad this is finally over......congrats 49er fans. :icon_cool:

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Nice signing. Now all he has to do is win games.

5. They got him at their original offer of 5-years, $25M.

Nice.

6. And dreaming of Lombardi Trophies I'll bet......lol

Chris Mortensen: Twitter.com

7. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Andy Luck just changed his mind....

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

First order of business get him a QB to mentor damn it!!!!

9. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

See my post above yours Sweets.

10. DontKnowMe

DontKnowMe Anti-Social Networker

Vince Young is available. :icon_cheesygrin:

11. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

They're going to bring Alex Smith back for another shot under Harbaugh. It's only fair.

12. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Vince is a better QB than Alex...

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Fair???? He's been paid a crapload of cash for his services already...dump him.

14. The 49ers could have their choice of Cam Newton (if he decalres), Ryan Mallett or Jake Locker at the No. 7 spot.

15. Word.

A. Smith won't be brought back imo......Harbaugh will likely take a QB at the No. 7 spot.

Cameron Newton would be a very intriguing pick......

16. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I'd be curious to know what Harbaugh thinks of Vince Young instead of a rookie...

17. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Dennis Erickson version 2.0

18. bambam

bambam Rookie

I think we should take the best talent at 7 instead of a qb we could get in rounds 2 or 3. AJ Green, Peterson, Amukamara, Bowers... we can't pass up on that kind of talent at those positions. Grab a free agent qb to help us stay competitive while properly allowing a qb to grow into the system. We don't need another "throw him to the fire" project. Alex doesn't want to come back, and I don't think JH's hiring will change his mind.

19. Hope it works out for Harbaugh like it did for Bill Walsh.....the chance of following in his footsteps was too much for Jim to pass up imo.

CBS Sports