Jim Harbaugh 'Not Sure' If 49ers DE Justin Smith Will Be Available For Playoffs

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by SRW, Dec 24, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The 49ers' defense has surrendered nine touchdowns in the six quarters of play without All-Pro defensive tackle Justin Smith, who missed Sunday's game with a left elbow injury.

Smith is not expected to return for the 49ers' regular-season finale against the Arizona Cardinals, and coach Jim Harbaugh did not sound certain Smith will be available for the playoffs, either.

"I don't know for sure," Harbaugh said following the 49ers' 42-13 loss to the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday night.

The 49ers surrendered 28 points in the second half after Smith left the field due to his injury early in the third quarter of the 49ers' 41-34 win at the New England Patriots last week.

On Sunday, Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch rushed for 111 yards and a touchdown, and quarterback Russell Wilson threw four touchdown passes.

"I think it's a big deal," 49ers safety Donte Whitner said of Smith's absence. "I think not having Justin is a huge deal. Not only what he does against the run but what he does against the pbutt. How he helps Aldon (Smith) out there, eating up two guys allowing him to go one-on-one. He's a huge part of this defense.

"He has an injury and we don't have him right now, so all that we can do is for the guys that are in there to back them up and everyone needs to pick up their game and take it to another level. We can't make excuses. We understand we lost this football game. It was an ugly football game, but professional athletes are men of high character. We will bounce back next week."

Source: Comcast Sports