Joe Vitt Testifies Gregg Williams Offered Bounty For Injuring Opposing Coaches

Discussion in 'New Orleans Saints' started by SRW, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Bountygate scandal that dominated the Saints’ 2012 season went beyond alleged offers of cash rewards for hits and injuries to opposing players, according to assistant head coach Joe Vitt.

In December testimony obtained by the New Orleans Times-Picayune, Vitt alleged that former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams once promised to reward players if they knocked down or took out opposing coaches on plays near the sideline.

Vitt told an appeals hearing headed by former NFL Commisioner Paul Tagliabue that he made sure players understood that such behavior was unacceptable. He also testified that everyone understood that Williams’ “schtick†and “false bravado†were such exaggerations of reality that players rarely took him seriously.

“If our players went out and performed what came out of Gregg Williams’ mouth, and it went from his lips to their ears, and then it went to the performance, we would have people in jail right now, ma’am,†Vitt told NFL attorney Mary Jo White at the time. “We would have people in jail right now.â€

The Saints finished 7-9 in the wake of NFL punishments that included head coach Sean Payton’s season-long suspension, and Williams being suspended indefinitely.

Source: Sports Illustrated

2. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

The more I hear of Williams behavior the less I think of him. I was glad when he was hired and he did help us win the Super Bowl but he is wacked in the head.

3. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

wtf??? taking out coaches on the sideline ...........

i can't decide if this is hilarious or deeply disturbing..........

and, if true, anyone else find it ironic that payton was the one that got hecked up on the sideline right before the whole bountygate thing came about .............

4. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Taking out coaches now? W T F This has been one strange SB week.

5. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

..Wow. I do not like Williams. I never did. And if this is true, that's just sick.

6. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

next, we're going to hear williams had bounties out to injure oppossing fans in the stands

7. Buck Fenson

can you imagine that some, a very few, wants Williams back. Said the style of defense was better than last years.

8. Chipper10

It's not their choice. And I don't think he ever comes back to New Orleans.

9. Buck Fenson

it would never happen but still, the defense did play better in spurts. Hope they get a fiery defensive coach like him but not so psycho.

10. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Is Spags available?

11. Chipper10

I hated him. The constant blitzing left players wide open. And Saints have enough trouble stopping big plays..

12. Buck Fenson

they played better though

13. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

Lol oooh poor Gregg Williams.

14. Buck Fenson

i just hope we can improve soon on defense