Kaep vs Alex Smith....

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by DawkinsINT, Oct 4, 2014.

1. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

[​IMG]

So far the winner is....neither. Didn't want to start up the debate again, and I was too lazy to find the old thread(s). Just thought others would find this interesting. Pretty much a dead heat. Tomorrow's game should be fun.

2. DawkinsINT

I realize after the fact that I'm a dope and should have just put this in the game thread.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Nah...this is good.

SHOWDOWN!

4. DawkinsINT

One of the two will surely Cutler it up.

TJ likes this.
  5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Is San Frans O-Line any better than New England's?

6. DawkinsINT

They allowed 4 sacks last week against an Eagles pass rush that didn't register one in the previous two weeks. So that's kind of damning. Not sure what KC brings away from home.

7. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Ugh, really? We had to go there?

Alex is what he is, he's not outstanding, not flashy, not a put-the-team-on-his-back-and-win type quarterback...but he has become solid, he's reliable, he doesn't screw up much, and even though he might not win you the game, he probably won't lose it either. Above average but far from great.

Kaep - all the pot#!@+al in the world, a ceiling that rivals the Sistine...but maddeningly inconsistent and seemingly in a state of arrested development as a quarterback. He'll make as incredible of a throw as you'll ever see one second, and then turn around and chuck the stupidest goddang int you'll ever see the next. One drive he'll be efficient, precise, make all the killer reads, play just impeccably, and then the next it's like he's Jeff George with a blindfold on. The development everyone has been expecting from year to year is negligible and it's becoming quite frustrating. After year one, I figured that between his incredible talent and athleticism and the coaching staff in place (who had just turned Alex from a total nightmare into the guy I described above), that he'd become an absolute monster in the following years...but it hasn't happened. He's still basically exactly the same as he was 3 years ago, and I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that if it ain't happened yet, it ain't gunna. He is what he's going to be. To be fair, I did say that about Alex back in the day, too. A lot. I don't think that they are doing him any favors by providing zero in the way of legitimate competition for his job either, but thats a whole other threads worth of ranting.

I'd still roll Kap over Alex if given the choice, if for no other reason that when he is on and locked in, he's a world beater and can take over any game...but there is the tradeoff that he's likely to singlehandedly lose you a few along the way, too. Just gotta hope he's hot and focused when it counts.

8. DawkinsINT

Haha...my favorite part of your rant.

9. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

When everyone's healthy, sure. Right now? Maayyyyyyybe? Injuries aside though, there is something else intrinsically wrong with them right now and Im not sure what it is. They're sloppy, disorganized, undisciplined (just like the rest of the team)...which screams coaching problems to me, and it's not just the line, it's like that pretty much across the board. Either they aren't getting the proper coaching or they aren't taking the coaching in, and either way thats an immense problem moving forward.

I'm really getting the feeling that this is a team on the decline that missed their window and they know it. Alot of the incredible talent that Baughlke inherited (that made that miraculous turnaround possible) is aging fast and/or likely to be leaving in the near future, and they've shown nearly zero ability to replenish it with impact drafts. They're going to have to pay the piper for that sooner than later, and it won't be pretty. Well, "they" probably won't be around anymore by then, but the team will still pay nonetheless. Look at the last 4 drafts, straight up awful tbh. 2012, oh my gawwwwwwd wtf. Even the players that looked like initial hits haven't continued to develop and/or can't stay on the field.

Talent declining and nothing coming up through the draft, coaching looking like maybe it's not really all that great after all if it's not working with elite talent across the board (and likely leaving before next season anyway, barring a Lombardi), players unhappy and cohesion crumbling...yeah, it's probably all downhill from here, baby. It was fun for a minute there, tho!

10. markaz

Agreed. I liken Harbaugh to Whisenhunt and his staff when they first arrived in AZ. The honeymoon lasted 3 years and then some of the crappiest FA and draft picks ensued. Kevin Kolb...EOM.

11. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

I'll always root for Alex, but the Niners did the right thing by staying with Kap. Once the O-line figures out the pass pro issues, Kap will do much better.

12. markaz

@Walnuts derogatory comment in 5...4...3...2...

13. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Nah, I agree.

14. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Whats the situation.

If the your team is evenly matched with an opponent Ill go with Smith. He isnt gonna make mistakes and can do enough in the 10-20 yard game to move the ball. Underrated wheals too

If im an underdog, Im going with Kaep. Kaep is capable of putting an offense on his back and destroying a defense if they dont respect him, and/or make mistakes

TJ and DawkinsINT like this.
  15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

16. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'll trade Tomlin for the whining and crying of Harbaugh. I don't see why the league wouldn't write that into the script...brothers facing each oteh2, possibly 3 times a year?

17. markaz

Why not ask ram29nostradamus?

smeags and DawkinsINT like this.
  18. smeags

smeags militant geek

alex smith. it's not even close. kaep's ceiling is as tall as a hobbit's home and he's hit it.

bait

86WARD likes this.
  19. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

cutler is better than both of them

DawkinsINT likes this.