Let The Debate Begin

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by markaz, Feb 2, 2015.

1. 86WARD

86WARD -

Bradshaw had very similar rushing numbers when compared to Staubach (2257 to 2264) a similar YPC and 12 more rushing TD than Staubach (32 to 20). Bradshaw's run game was actually very underrated. I wouldn't compare him to Russell Wilson though. His play style was different...more like Brett Favre?

2. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

I'm shocked that you aren't trying to compare his running ability to Barry Sanders at this point.

3. smeags

smeags militant geek

career 83 passer rating in the playoffs. four times below 70. twice in the 40's.

sorry ward, bradshaw not only doesnt deserve to be in the same book as montana & brady but not even in the same book store.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

But you fail to mention that the defenses that Bradshaw faced were better than the defenses Montana faced. Not only better but they could get away with almost raping the receivers. Those defenses Montana faced in the Bengals, Broncos and Dolphins...not nearly as good as the Vikings, Cowboys and Rams of the 70s.

As for ratings, Montana had the west coast offense, naturally giving QBs higher ratings. Montana had Bill Walsh calling plays. Bradshaw called his own. Montana longest pass was 44 yards. Bradshaw threw deep in all of his games (with success) and 4 of those were caught 40 yards down field. More risk in Bradshaws passes than there are with Montana.

Bradshaw had no running game behind him during those 3 of those 4 Super Bowl games. Montana had Roger Craig and as high as a 5.3 YPC average in one of his games to lean on. Bradshaw had his running game taken away in 3/4 of his games and it was put on his shoulders to win and he stepped up.

Set aside his two touchdown fourth quarter performance in Super Bowl 23, Montana threw 8 passes with zero touchdowns in the fourth quarter of Super Bowls, one pass being significant. Bradshaw, had 8 4th-quarter scoring drives with four game-winning touchdown passes.

Much more pressure on Bradshaw than there was on Montana. I'm not saying Bradshaw was better, but his performances in the Super Bowl has him in that conversation as best Super Bowl QB.

5. smeags

smeags militant geek

you look dumber with each of these posts ward.

seriously, now you're resorting to holding joe's greatness against him some how.

you're at a rags level already, stop before you hit darren territory.

86WARD likes this.
  6. smeags

smeags militant geek

also - easy there on the bragging about the elite defenses bradshaw faced. only the cowboys were ranked 1st in the 2nd meeting. they were ranked 8th in the first sb meeting. the vikes were 5th and yeah the steelers offesne and bradshaw struggled. the rams ? really ? you wanna brag about that 15th ranked defense from a 9-7 team ? bro there wasnt any deacon jones & co on that team.

meanwhile joe faced bengals defenses that were ranked 3rd & 1st.
    a broncos def ranked 1st in scoring and dropped 55 on them.
    a miami def also ranked 1st in the league.

plus the defenses were still getting away with everything in the 80's so forget that point as well.

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

The Rams only allowed 19 points in their two playoff games. They were playing extremely well...hardly playing like a slouch.

Please the Bengals defenses rank no where near those Cowboys defenses or that Vikings defense. Same with those Broncos defenses...how many points did that defense let up? The Dolphins defense let Mark Malone go up and down the field on them in those same playoffs and he was terrible!

If you think any of those defenses are near the caliber of the Cowboys or Vikings of the 70s, I'm thinking you smoked a bong, got dizzy, fell down and hit your head on the counter.

1978 is when the rule changes permitted a defender to maintain contact with a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage, but restricted contact beyond that point. Mel Blount rule.

TJ likes this.
  8. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm not discounting Montana at all but it's just silly to say Bradshaw isn't worthy of being in the discussion for best Super Bowl QB. You can make arguments against Bradshaw's accuracy and ratings, similar arguments can be made about Montana. Let's be honest, I mean you are the one who brought up John Elway...lol. You may have entered that territory wearing bright orange.

Buck Fenson likes this.
  9. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's also not fair to bring up Rags name. He went bye and isn't here to defend himself...

Buck Fenson likes this.