Mascots and prejudice: The ongoing saga of the Washington Redskins

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SportsChump, Aug 8, 2014.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

I’ve got an old friend whose name is Dan Gleason. We used to call him “Rocket” Dan. Despite being one of the elder statesmen among our merry band of bar-dwelling, hoop-shooting Gator fans, Dan had a solid game and a super quick release on his jumper, hence the nickname.

Dan Gleason was also, as you might have guessed from his surname, of Irish descent. And somewhat ironically, he hated Notre Dame. Not for the normal reasons most people hate Notre Dame. Rocket Dan hated Notre Dame because he thought their mascot and team name were racist.

I had never before been privy to such a rant but he’d sit me down time after time, disgusted that people could overlook such a travesty.

Follow along at: http://sportschump.net/2014/08/08/mascots-prejudice-ongoing-saga-washington-redskins/14207/

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

my opinion on this is well known. change the damn name.

also - the bullets should still be named the bullets so i'm not some over the top PC nancy.

3. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Smeags...

If you get the time, go back to the site and check out the comments section.

Some pretty interesting banter.

Would love to hear what you think.

4. smeags

smeags militant geek

yeah i read some of them and as usual the ones who dont see an issue with it are not native americans but feel they can speak for them. plus the old PC rant is weak. really weak. this isnt about being PC, it's about being right. the capital of the free world has a team sporting a racial slur but it's government/people feel they can sit on their high horses and wave their fingers at others about morality & equality.

the notre dame example is a bit weak as well because the irish as a whole celebrate st patty's as a day to get crapfaced and act stupid but now you're gonna complain about the fighting irish ? really ? can't have it both ways.

let's face it if there is one race, gender or group that has no voice in this country it's the people that had it taken away from them.

that all said i agree 100% that this country is too PC these days, just not on this subject.

SportsChump likes this.
  5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

Bunch of total horsehit and the pile is just getting bigger cause nobody likes dan snyder! if i wanted to take the names of sports teams personal,i could find a reason to change every GD name of every franchise!

TJ likes this.
  6. smeags

smeags militant geek

go ahead, prove your point -

1st up - the eagles - a majestic animal and the symbol of freedom

7. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

the eagles from philly are a national symbol of choking.i doubt eagles in the real world choke that much or we'd see them laying all over the place.

SportsChump likes this.
  8. smeags

smeags militant geek

as i thought you have nothing.

btw - good luck rgknee this year.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  9. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Change it to the Washington Turd Sandwich!!

[​IMG]

I agree with Deasel. Dig deep enough, and every team name in every sport offends at least one person.

Diesel44 likes this.
  10. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

glad you also have a great sense of humor man!

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

Eagles - Philadelphia team as a whole supports racism (see the employment of Riley Cooper.) I'd also gander to say the term Eagle is racist in that I've never seen a black or hispanic working at American Eagle...lol

Diesel44 likes this.
  12. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

in all seriousness,if the indians that went after the skins went after the cleveland indians 1st,the fight would have been over before it started.

TJ likes this.
  13. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

If the name is so offensive,wtf do they use it as a mascot on their own lands?
    http://www.tpnn.com/2014/06/19/will...-high-school-their-redskins-mascot-is-racist/

14. smeags

smeags militant geek

blacks say the n-word so i guess you made a point here ?

keep defending this. it's shows your true self.

15. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

they may say it,but they do not use it as an official mascot.in my view,you are just jealous of the redskins cause of their success and the eagles lack of it.it has been awhile since we won a superbowl,but it beats never winning one at all.

16. smeags

smeags militant geek

dude they use it in every conversation and in almost every rap song out there making millions off of it. yes it's comparable.

super bowl smack talk is the way to go here. that really shows intelligence.

17. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

whatever dude! just by your reaction,i hit a nerve!