Maurice Jones-Drew announces his retirement

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by ICECOLD, Mar 5, 2015.

1. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Running back Maurice Jones-Drew decided to walk away from the NFL after nine seasons.

The 29-year-old running back announced his retirement on Thursday via his Twitter account: "All good things come to an end!!!"

"After much discussion with my family and business team during this offseason, I've decided to retire from the National Football League," Jones-Drew wrote. "The past 9 years were absolutely amazing. I'll be forever grateful to the countless people who have assisted me throughout my NFL Journey. To my fans, and NFL fans worldwide, you are the absolute greatest. But for you, our league would not exist. Football has been a central part of my life for the past 24 year. But now I'm excited about and looking forward to the next chapter of my life."

MJD played last season with the Oakland Raiders after eight with the Jacksonville Jaguars, where he earned three Pro Bowl trips, two first-team All-Pro honors and was the 2011 NFL rushing leader.

Following that 343 carry, 1,606 2011 season, Jones-Drew's production fell off hard. He was injured in 2012 missing 10 games and battled through nagging injuries in 2013. Last season his inability to break tackles and lost foot-speed left him anchored to the bench -- earning just 96 yards on 43 carries.

However, Pocket Hercules -- as some affectionately referred to him -- will be forever remembered for his early career burst and an ability to churn out yards despite his 5-foot-7 frame.

Jones-Drew ends his career with 8,167 yards on 1,847 carries with 68 rushing touchdowns.

One of the most gregarious, introspective and entertaining players throughout his career, MJD could easily find himself on the other side of a media mic if he so choses.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000476742/article/maurice-jonesdrew-announces-his-retirement

2. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

Sad to see pocket herc's time in the league come to an end

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I can't believe he was in the league 9 years. Didn't seem that long to me.

4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Retiring at 29...how sweet it must be. I'm 33 and nowhere near that...

5. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Prosepects of returning to Oakland would make me want to retire too. Always wondered what his career numbers would look like had he run behind a better line.