Mike Holmgren Thinks Jets QB Mark Sanchez Will 'Have A Fine Year' In 2013

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by SRW, Jul 3, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Mike Holmgren knows something about quarterbacks, which is why his comments about Mark Sanchez are noteworthy.

When training camp starts in three weeks, Sanchez, who has come to symbolize all that is wrong with the Jets, will try to fend off rookie Geno Smith for the starting job.

Holmgren, meanwhile, sounds unconcerned about Sanchez's progress as an NFL quarterback.

“I think actually he's going to have a fine year,â€￾ he said during a recent appearance on 950 KJR-AM in Seattle (via PFT).

There aren't many people who share Holmgren's opinion, but he does have some inside knowledge as Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinwheg played quarterback for Holmgren in high school, and Holmgren had Mornhinwheg on his staff with the Packers. Holmgren also scouted Sanchez when he was coming out of USC in 2009 and was impressed with what he saw.

“I just liked his mechanics coming out of college. I really liked his mechanics,â€￾ Holmgren said. “He would be one of those guys -- I know he's taken a lot of flak and a lot of heat -- but he would have been one of those guys if I was still coaching I would really like to coach. … [Last year] was like the perfect storm. I just think he's a better player than that."

Source: CBS Sports