Monk, HOF or Not?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by HailttRedskins, Aug 5, 2007.

?

Does He Belong in the HOF?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Just a simple question. Do you believe Arthur Monk deserves to be in the Hall of Fame or not.

Personally it's been pissing me off that he hasn't gotten in. He deserves it more than anyone right now IMO, more than Michael Irvin too. Do I think Irvin deserves to go in to the Hall of Fame? Yes I do, however I think it is ludicrous that he was inducted before Monk.

Now I really would like this to be a serious vote. I know many of you hate the Redskins, some don't like, and some do like, but please vote honestly. Please do not vote no just because you don't like the Redskins.

I don't like the Cowboys, however, I'm not going to say Dorset (sorry if spelled incorrectly), Irvin, Aikman, and soon to be Emitt, don't deserve to be there, when they do.

2. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Every year this question comes up and every year Monk is again denied, of course he deserves it but unfortunately his time may be running out and I fear he'll never gain admittance to the HOF which would be a travesty.

Chrisbob knows well how I feel about this...BOGUS I tell ya!!!!

3. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Oh, please...not again!!!!

4. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Irvin is already in TJ of course you're not caring about Monk..lol

5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

No, I really don't care...but I still don't understand why he is not there already...

6. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

A must watch for any Art Monk backer....enjoy!

Part 1
    [YOUTUBE]k6meEIcf8MQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Part 2
    [YOUTUBE]EfkLQjeBVkk[/YOUTUBE]
    Part 3
    [YOUTUBE]nAvvmGooMy0[/YOUTUBE]
    Part 4
    [YOUTUBE]tfUl3YJF0wQ[/YOUTUBE]

And for my money? Yes he is a sure fire Hall of Famer. It's a shame this era of bloated offensive numbers have cast any doubt to his greatness.

7. HailttRedskins

Haha, I know the maker of that video, I have that on DVD, it was just that good, however, I think it's BS how this is going. Instead of paying attention to what he did, they'd rather talk about, oh, well he didn't show off, or this and that.

Who gives a heck, he did what his contract said, catch balls and make plays, he was a classy guy, not a show off, but hey, I guess thats how it is now. No matter how good it is, unless you act like a fool, you're not going in.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Hmmmm..someone voted no, why???

9. HailttRedskins

Who knows, someone simple maybe?

10. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The other one that cracks me up is that he never had a "signature moment" and that he was hurt in big games. How are injuries going to lessen his greatness? It boggles the mind when someone like him gets snubbed while marginal talent gets in right away....He is the only retired NFL player to at one time be the all time receptions leader (other than Jerry Rice) and not to be in the Hall. Look at how many players who played in the 90's sit atop the all time list now. Jerry Rice, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Andre Reed....all ahead of Monk, all played their majority of their career in the offensive boom of the 90's.

11. Garnett

Garnett Gritt Tuff

Does Monk deserve to be in the HOF? Yes. I think the length and totality of his career should put him in there. It maybe just me, but he may seem like the type who the veterans committee will elect because they tend to favor the guys who have had less recognition throughout their career.

12. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

No, it's a great point and unfortunately, I expect that is how Monk will eventually get into the Hall. His best shot was last year, only Matthews was a nailed on first year cert, after that, it was wide open.

Monk was not media friendly in his career, I believe this has played some part in his exclusion.

Some say he was never the best, until Rice turned up Monk was the leading wide receiver in football in 84 and 85, so he was arguably the best at that point. He retired the all time leader in receptions..............do I need to keep going on and on?

13. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

What I hate is that as the years pass less and less younger people know about the great play from Art Monk, at his time in the league he was the Jerry Rice of the era. If Largent is in the HOF so should Monk.

14. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I'm still waiting for Bullet Bob Hayes to get in.

Now, THAT'S a travesty.

15. bandi

bandi Hall Of Famer

4 votes for no...and I agree...WHY?? What Monk did in his time was amazing and he should be in the HOF already!! I think it's a shame that he's not there.

16. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Monks:
    Games:Receptions:Yards:Average:TD's
    Career 224 940 12,721 13.5 68

Irvin's:
    Receptions:Yards:Average:TD's
    Regular Season
    Totals 750 11,904 15.9 85
    Playoffs
    Totals 87 1,315 15.1 8

I was one of the people that picked no...before you flame I say he was a good player and yes I saw him play personally many times. I just don't feel he had that little push to get him in.

17. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

Judge a player on what he did, not what he did compared to another person. If comparisons are the case, take every receiver who played in the same era as Jerry Rice away because no one compares.

Deion Sanders today discussing this topic with Adam Schefter:

Adam said: Monk does not have a good ypc average his is 13.8. Other recievers in the HOF such as Largent, Allworth and Swann all have 18 ypc. Also Monk lacks that big catch that people can remember.

Deion said: Adam the last time I checked 13 yards was a first down. As for big catches I can remember at when he burned me on a stop and go route and went 50 yards for a TD in the Playoffs. Also whats the deal sports writers saying who's in and who's not. They watch a few games but until they actually go out on the field they dont know anything. Marshall Faulk agreed.

If average per catch is so important, we'd best not see Marvin Harrison make it in. Last time I recall, 13.5 yards got you a first down. of course, idiots like Dr Z say he had a career full of 8 yard hooks........

Listen to what people of Monks era say, I haven't heard an ex-player from Monk's time say he doesn't belong. The likes of the two guys above, Jim Kelly, Rod Woodson, Bill PArcells (quote: Monk is going to Canton downhill on roller skates) Micheal Irvin himself just to name a few.....

#47 1st Stringer

Of course, he was a great receiver, leader, and a key part of the Redskins and their 3 Super Bowl Teams. It is a shame he's not in the Hall of Fame already.

19. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Agreed, nice post.:icon_cool:

20. HailttRedskins

I like your shades :icon_wink: