Monk, HOF or Not?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by HailttRedskins, Aug 5, 2007.

?

Does He Belong in the HOF?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Platoon 86

Platoon 86 Loony

Thank you:icon_cool:

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

A correction needs to be made here. Irvin caught 65 career TDs, not 85. This is according to www.pro-football-reference.com. Great site, BTW. I highly recommend it.

Bob Hayes caught 71 career TDs, a Cowboys record that still stands to this day. Without Bob Hayes, you don't have zone defenses in the NFL. No one man could cover him. That's why he was called Bullet.

Case closed.

3. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Arguing about this stuff is trivial it would be equivalent to me saying Roger Craig should be there also. The stats I just googled his name and that's what came up.

4. RetroDan#16

RetroDan#16 Resident Artiste

I've been a supporter of Monk getting in for quite a few years now. His contribution to the Redskins' success in the 80's seems to be easily forgotten by some quarters, and the longer he doesn't get in, the tougher it will be. With the amount of receivers becoming eligible in the coming years, Monk's chances will only drop which is a shame.

5. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I totally agree tha Art Monk should be there. If you are comparing....who had better stats? Monk or Swann? But Swann was the showman...had the great catches and made them in the clutch and bigtime games. Stallworth was better in my opinion but Swanny was great in his own way. Monk was never the showman and if that is what is keeping him out of HOF that sucks.
    I was recently sent a link to a petition to sign for another famous snub of the HOF (Jim Marshall) I signed it and would gladly sign one for Monk too if there is one. Some might say it's a worthless cause but voting on a website has less chance of affecting any future HOF voting than a petition would.

6. Buck Fenson

Buck Fenson formerly Jake from State Farm

Of course Irvins numbers will be higher, there wasn't really a good #2 to take the pass attempts away from him like with Monk. They had 3 good receivers so the passes would be spread around more. Monk was the best receiver for a few years. He finished #1 in receptions and was #1 until the catching machine came in the league. Monk should be in the Hall with a personal letter of apology for the injustice against him.

7. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Very Nice :agreed:

8. Buck Fenson

I am a Saints fan of course but I am also a Football fan and this is a huge injustice. Hopefully they get it right next season.

9. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I wouldn't hold my breathe over this

10. Buck Fenson

Seems like they are not voting him in on purpose. They should let the former players vote them in.

11. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

After a good few years of lobbying against Monk, SI's Peter King finally came round. This year, it seems another anti-Monk writer, Dr Z is also considering changing his mind:

From Dr Z's Mailbag

:icon_eek:

12. HailttRedskins

HailttRedskins I Still Say Redskins

Dr. Z is still a happy

13. Buck Fenson

Ahhhh, I am not a Redskins fan but I think Monk should be in there. Those folks should have their voting rights rescinded.

14. truelife

truelife 6-0 is our goal

i think it is a shame monk has not made it in yet and like others have said his time may be running out. What he needs is a class where there isn't any big time namers on the ballot and then he will get what he deserves

15. Buck Fenson

On the same note sort of, how many here think Rickey Jackson should be in the HOF?

16. RedskinsNo.1

RedskinsNo.1 R.I.P Sean Taylor

Well as a skins fan i think Monk should be in there but i'm not holding my breath for him to make it anytime soon

17. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

I'm a big fan of all the Dome Patrol but linebacker seems to be a hard position for getting into the Hall Of Fame. Derrick Thomas, Chris Hanburger, Harry Carson taking so long etc etc.

18. Buck Fenson

If you look at LT and RJ's stats they are so freaking close. LT has more sacks but by 5. One more interception.

19. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Bob Hayes averaged 20.0 yards per catch during his career. May I see a list of former NFL WRs that did that?

20. frost

frost Irreverent Bastard

Hayes was close to being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2004, but was denied the opportunity in the final round of decision making. The decision was marred by controversy, with many claiming that the Hall of Fame Senior Selection Committee had a bias against members of the Dallas Cowboys and other NFL teams. Others believe Hayes' longstanding problems with drug abuse marred his chances.