Much ado about noggins: 49ers’ defensemen leaves league for healthier pastures

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SportsChump, Mar 19, 2015.

1. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Earlier this week, an NFL player that nobody had ever heard of announced his retirement. His reason: fear of irreparable brain damage. His departure from the game he barely played made national headlines and became yet another reminder of the savagery of a sport in limbo.

Wait a minute! Do you mean to tell me that it took an otherwise, irrelevant 24-year old to remind us the league is facing a concussion crisis? Shouldn’t Roger Goodell be doing this daily? Or is he too busy revisiting his league’s “conduct policy?”

Please continue at: http://sportschump.net/2015/03/19/m...semen-leaves-league-healthier-pastures/15216/

2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Look...Roger is still tied up with deflate-gate. It's a timely process...one thing at a time @SportsChump. I mean it's only been 3 months...

3. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Ever read or listened to a story about Pat Tillman that didn't include "leaving a $3.6 million contract offer from the Cardinals" to join the Army? It's not enough that he was driven by patriotism. No, he left all that money behind. And now Chris Borland is retiring from the NFL and leaving all that money behind because of concerns for his health. Even Borland's friends prioritize NFL money in an interview: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...-borland-made-decision-retire-safety-concerns.

What in the hell is wrong with us that money should ever be the No. 1 consideration when making a life decision? A part of me wants to blame the NFL or point a finger at its brainwashed fans and headline hungry media for putting money at the forefront...but I can't. As a whole we have such a twisted slant on what is really important....especially when it comes to someone else's life.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

It's te fact that most of the people reading those stories don't make 1/10 what Borland was making or going to make...not to mention what he could make in his next contract.

5. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

If he can walk anway from the game and not be injured in any single way,more power to him. it is better to walk away when he can walk away is'nt it? If he can't put his heart and soul 100 percent,it's better he quit.

6. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

All great points. Didn't even think about Tillman. Shame on me.

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

= Jealousy.

86WARD likes this.