Nathan Horton, Blue Jackets Agree To 7-Year, $37.1M Contract

Discussion in 'Hockey Talk' started by SRW, Jul 5, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

The Columbus Blue Jackets made a major move on Friday to shore up their lagging offense by signing free-agent right wing Nathan Horton away from the Boston Bruins.

The 28-year-old playoff-hardened forward, who visited Columbus earlier this week, signed a seven-year deal worth $37.1 million -- with $29 million of that coming in the first five years, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Craig Custance.

"This is a team on the rise with great players, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it," Horton said of the Blue Jackets. "We felt at home as soon as we visited here, and it was pretty clear to us that this is where we wanted to live. This is a great fit for me and my family."

He was to be formally introduced at a Friday afternoon news conference.

Horton, who still needs offseason shoulder surgery that will delay the start of his 2013-14 season, provides the Blue Jackets punch they lacked this past season, when they just missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker.

"Nathan Horton was the player we identified as a perfect fit," Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said. "He is an elite power forward who brings size, skill and a great desire to compete to our lineup. He is also a person of great character and someone who will fit in very well with our team."

Source: ESPN.com

2. JEMicklos

JEMicklos Captain

Great move for Columbus. Turrible for Boston. Bostons chances of repeating as East Champs get slimmer every day