NFL Playoff Format

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by AtlantaBlazer, Dec 24, 2008.

1. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

So I've heard whining from Pats fans with the possibility of them missing the playoffs at 11-5. My first question is, where were they last year when Cleveland missed the playoffs, my second is, what do you think of the NFL Playoff format, and does it need to be fixed.

Now, I hear many people say, "Top 6 should get in, period", but then you pretty much ward the whole point of divisions and toss the conferences in a big mix of games. Think about it this way: What if you have a tough division? What if everyone beats up on each other (say NFC South last season), and your winner is 9-7, with the runner ups pretty close? A 9-7 team that took care of business in their division shouldn't go?

Some people also say that the playoffs should be expanded. I've heard people suggesting 3, even 4 wildcards, which would put the amount of playoff teams at 14, or 16.

Anyway, give your opinions.

2. hermhater

hermhater Guest

I'm happy with the way they are set up now.

Unless we add more teams to the NFL there's no reason to add more play off games.

3. dolphindude13

dolphindude13 Jack Of All Trades

Agreed, it's fine like it is....If the Pats miss the playoffs at 11-5 tough crap, same goes for Miami or any other team. Everyone knows what they have to do going in so why whine about it, lets not turn the NFL into the NHL or NBA where half the teams in the league get in or so it seems.

4. ollysj

ollysj iKraut

Keep it the way it is...

5. DaBearsrule4ever

DaBearsrule4ever Hall Of Famer

I'm actually happy with the way the format is too. If they do add more teams, no more then two more teams from each conference.

6. Inclulbus

Inclulbus WE ARE! .. Marshall!

leave it the way it is, it's flawless.

7. DaBearsrule4ever

Yup, I second that.

8. Flaxe1

Flaxe1 1st Stringer

With you guys on this one, leave it be.

9. DoubleC

DoubleC i'm ready now...

Keep it as it is. 49ers and Eagles were out of postseason with a 10-6 record too, back in 1991, I think.
    Crap happens.

10. n1gbpackfan

n1gbpackfan Title Town USA

Leave it to the Patriots to cry about this. I know there have been seasons that they made the playoffs when other teams have had better records, you didn't hear them whine then.

11. DaBearsrule4ever

The Patriots are the Yankees of the NFL. (atleast this decade they are)

12. Mike S.

Mike S. GIF Hall Of Fame Class Of 2007 Staff Member

leave it the way it is. as the saying goes, "if it ain't broke, why fix it?"

13. hermhater

hermhater Guest

Happened to us twinky's last year too...

It was heartbreaking, but that's the way it goes.

14. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

roger goodell just announced that they are discussing expanding the playoff format to 14 or maybe even 16 teams.

i'm really not a big fan of this idea. we already have too many 7-9 and 8-8 teams backing into the playoffs periodically. If the season ended today and we had a 16-team format, the Jets would make the playoffs. In what universe does that make sense?

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Would be HORRIBLE! He's looking for any reason to extend the season to President's weekend...any reason...

16. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

i don't have a problem with him expanding the teams to 14,but he should stop at that.

17. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

This. I'm happy with the way it is now.

18. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

unless the nfl adds more expansion teams why change the format