NFLPA President Kevin Mawae Admits 49ers Offered Him A Contract Last August

Discussion in 'San Francisco 49ers' started by BigBlueBruiser, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Coming off a Pro Bowl season for Tennessee in 2009, former NFL center and current NFLPA president Kevin Mawae said he had the chance to sign with San Francisco last August when center Eric Heitmann suffered a fractured fibula. A combination of personal and monetary reasons prompted Mawae to decline the offer and retire shortly thereafter after 16 seasons. "It was a four-hour flight (each way) for a six-month season," said Mawae, who lives in Nashville. "I was going to be the starter, a team leader and coach on the field. All this — and it was for a one-year minimum (salary). Now, minimum for my age ($860,000) was really, really good. But at the end of the day, it wasn't worth leaving my family." Hoping to make the transition to coaching, Mawae served an internship with Vanderbilt University's strength program. After unsuccessfully interviewing for a Vanderbilt staff position, Mawae was recently hired as the varsity offensive line coach and assistant to a dean at Montgomery Bell Academy in Nashville, Tenn. "The understanding before I took the job is that I have commitments to the NFLPA," said Mawae, who is slated to serve as the association's president until March 2012.

Source: FOX Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2011
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Heard this interview on Sirius today. Was an excellent interview with Mawae. Very insightful.

3. I thought it was rather odd that no team, according to Mawae, offered him a contract in free agency last year.

Then when he believed he was blackballed, I thought it made some sense considering his position with the NFLPA. But if he was infact offered a deal.....then why he went on with his theory that he was being blackballed?

He could've came out with what he had just said in that point in time last year. I respect the hell out of the man but saying he was blackballed when that wasn't entirely the case doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

4. 86WARD

86WARD -

I believe he said that every NFLPA player that was in his similar position (president) never got offered that last contract.

It is kind of strange to think that Mawae couldn't be a back up center on some team in the NFL...

5. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

hes so full of crap i remember a few monthes ago he was crying because as union president noone wanted to offer him a contract and thats why he retired. why should i believe anything the NFLPA has said

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  6. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

why believe anything the NFL tells you?

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

Come on Sweets...the Owners don't lie and they offered a "GREAT" deal to the players...not only was it "GREAT", they were "SO CLOSE" to a deal when the players bailed...lol.

8. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

I love you 86...

9. Get a room.......lol

10. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i agree with these 2. mawae is a lying sack of crap and was trying to convince everyone of this massive conspiracy by the owners just to make the owners look bad.

typical union butthole ...............

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

Right, the union are the buttholes. Because the Owners are gods who don't pull any crap...lmfao

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

He's was allegedly promised a spot on the Titans roster by Fisher as well...

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

obviously both sides can play 'games' but here's the difference ............. the owners assume ALL of the financial risk. many players are now making $10, $15, or $20 million a year and even an 'average' one is making $5 million. I have seen/heard some numbers through the years and obviously the owners could cook the books but I believe there are many owners that make less EBITD than the highest paid players at the end of the year (jacksonville, buffalo, kansas city, minnesota, oakland, etc.) and that's not right. It's simple business 101. The owners, who are assuming ALL of the financial risk, should have the ability to have a rapid payback for their initial investment and make good profits afterwards if their business is successful and obviously this league is a huge success.

You 'claim' to be a fiscal conservative but it sounds to me like you haven't thought this through all the way or haven't done the math.

14. Dragonite

If the owners are really losing that much money than they can open the books up and let the players look at them and see that, and stop the bullcrap games about how the players wouldn't understand them and how they will only open up parts of the books for the players. Come on man!

It's a NINE BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY...freaking split it 50/50, STFU, and play.

15. misfitz

technically they are losing money off the original cba
    when the first cba was made the 1billion off the top was roughly 15% of the revenue.

Revenue has gone up 2 billion in 3 years so that 1 billion off the to is now 12% an extra 500 million would bring it back to around 16% the extra 1 billion off the top was excessive so the owners would have a way to negotiate you always go in higher then what you are willing to settle for.

500 million gets it back to around that original deal as far as percents and i think thats where the owners are getting this we are losing money thing

16. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

There probably some owners losing and some making more $. But it takes money to make money and some owners do not put in just want to take. .....I would never open the books its really non of the players business what his boss does as long as his check cashes on Friday....why would any business go 50/50 with its employees its not fiscally responsible....

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

No team is losing money. Their profitability levels may be down, but they aren't losing money...including Jacksonville.

The books have to be opened and looked at by a third party...everything needs to be looked at and analyzed.

18. Dragonite

Well mostly because the 9 billion dollars the NFL made last year is mostly because of the players...

No team in the NFL is losing money, I mean the Browns suck and they sell out games. The owners don't want to open up the books because they are spending money foolishly, and the players won't agree to give them the extra cash with that knowledge.

19. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

All company's work this way.....I make money BC of my employees....but I have to fork over a ton of money in insurance worker's comp. General liability ins. Etc etc .....but they have no reason to see my books....if the owners spend $ foolishly its there's to spend. Just like if a player wants to drop 6gs at a scrimp clubs its his choice he earned that money

20. misfitz

every freaking company makes money because of their employees