NFLPA President Says They Are Prepping For An Openly Gay Player

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by SRW, Mar 29, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

On the heels of CBSSports.com's report last week stating an NFL player is "strongly considering" coming out as gay, NFL Players Association president Domonique Foxworth revealed the union has been working hard to prepare players for the unavoidable announcement.

"We've had quite a few meetings with a number of organizations to help educate our players," Foxworth said Tuesday while on WNST-AM in Baltimore. "It's important that we educate our guys and be ready for this inevitability."

Foxworth believes there are some gay players in the game today and that there have been for a while. He even went so far as to say, "there are probably gay players in the Hall of Fame."

So the preparation Foxworth is spearheading is to ensure that nobody is shocked when the announcement comes from that player, or players.

"It's not gonna be easy for that person, which is why we're doing everything we can," Foxworth said. "When the public finds out about it, it's going to be a media storm and it's gonna be a lot of press and a lot of attention. And probably not all of it's gonna be positive. ... Someone on Twitter brought this up to me ... it doesn't have to be one player. When one player comes out (it's possible) multiple players will, because they are in our league right now."

Source: NFL.com

2. Agent Zero

Agent Zero I rode the short bus

This is getting stupid now. Who really gives a damn if a player is gay. Honestly, this shouldn't be a heckin issue. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with football or said players job. All this kinda thing is gonna do is cause a HUGE distraction for the team. There will be hundreds of reporters, some of who don't even cover sports. I don't think anything good will come from a player "coming out".

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

How do you "prep?" Educating Players? "Player X is gay, let's call him Tom. Tom likes boys. But you like girls. Tom isn't different, Tom just has feelings for boys like you do for girls. You can't catch gayness by being around Tom. Tom is still a part of our team and he's human. By the way, if Tom contracts something called AIDS, it is bad for Tom, but you can't catch it off the toilet seat."

Screw outta here...

4. bossco

bossco Rookie

The fact that they are paying this much attention to it shows how big of a deal this is. And It says a lot about pro athletes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

i'm still not seeing the advantage for the player to do it. what's the point?

6. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

what's the big deal about it? so what if a player is gay? if you are straight and somebody else isn't,how is that any of your business?

7. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Clearing his mind of the "burden" of pretending to be someone he is not?

8. Diesel44

Diesel44 Serial Killer

It is just human nature for everybody to want to be who they really are and not who people want them to be isn't it?

9. CaptainStubing

i've never bought this argument though. don't we all 'hide' certain things about ourselves in the workplace/church/public environments?

if you smoke weed or do other illegal drugs, you don't tell everyone about it.

if you like whips and chains in the bedroom, do you feel the need to tell everyone in the world?

for the most part, society understands that we are all walking around with some secrets and that they are better left unsaid in certain environments.

personally, i think it's just attention whoring. just my opinion though.

10. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

But the rest of the world doesn't get as close as your family like a team. Hiding who you are from family is soooo much harder than keeping a personal matter to yourself to a stranger.

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

I think anyone that likes whips and chains in the bedroom should wear a tag of some sort. That's a good thing to know!

12. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

Are they passing out condoms and an*l lube?

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

Why start now? It's not like they don't go greek on girls so they don't get knocked up.

14. CaptainStubing

eh, still having trouble with it mj........... you going to tell your mother if you like to have s*x with sheep?

You going to tell your father you are addicted to crack?

Once again, everyone has secrets .............. many people even have secrets they can't tell their own family.

and, for the ones that know whatever secret they have is going to be met very negatively with their family, in my opinion the only reason they would do it is to create conflict/drama (i.e. get attention).

let me give you an example. my mother is very anti-drugs. i have never and never will tell her all of the drugs i did when i was younger (coke, lsd, pills, etc.) because it would serve no purpose other than to create drama/conflict.

and if i still did harder drugs, i wouldn't tell her because she is vehemently anti-drug and it would do nothing but hurt her and create drama.

i would look for help in other places instead of dumping it on her.

15. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Cap, you are comparing apples to oranges. You chose to do those drugs, you don't choose to be gay. I get what you are saying, but it's a whole different thing to tell an anti drug parent that you have taken drugs and hide who you are for fear of being harmed, physically or verbally, and worrying if anyone knows your secret.

16. CaptainStubing

I'm not sure we are quite on the same page. I'm a 43 year old man. I choose not to discuss my drug use with my mother to protect her feelings and emotions, not mine.

It would serve no purpose other than to upset her. I just don't see the point.

17. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

What happens if the player gets cut cut or traded? Gay rights groups are going to go nuts.

18. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

It's really not the same thing at all.

19. ram29jackson

ram29jackson sports spectator

it will be second rate players no one cares about or wont last long in the league anyway. It will give them their 15 minutes of fame and a little cash maybe but the rest will be a mistake. Sports is a manly world for millions of obvious reasons.

No one wants to hear about you liking s*x with guys and it wont work in their favor in the long run. Say hello to the taxi squad or Canada if you open your mouth.

4 or 5 guys out of 1,696.....more proof that there arent many gays because you have to choose be to gay and cant breed yourself into existance.

people want to believe there might be 2 or 3 gays on every team which is a complete joke.

20. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

I'm sorry but the second half of this post is just completely ignorant. This is 4 or 5 guys that are thinking about coming out publicly. This isn't a comprehensive list of gays in the league. I would bet every single team has at least 1 gay guy. 1 out of 50? That's even a small percentage compared to the regular population.