NFL's Biggest Waste Of Natural Talent---Past Or Present

Discussion in 'NFL Smack Central' started by Saintsfan1972, Sep 15, 2007.

1. happ

happ PECAVI

To a Bears fan, he's gotta look like the next coming of Montana.

2. jaybird15

jaybird15 Starter

Herschel Walker/that guy was a freak in college and in the pro's is was a kick returner

3. Chrisbob

Chrisbob Fuck Dallas

Huh! He disappointed when traded to the Vikings for half of Gods green earth but he was much more than a kick returner. 8000+ yards rushing, over 500 receptions....

Desmond Howard better fits your description.

4. Dougerrrr

Dougerrrr Laus Deo

I'd have to say Vick but not because of what he did in NFL but because of how he ended his short career.....a lot of the players named before just couldn't cut it in NFL and didn't show that they could do it like Vick did and then threw it away for something like Vick did......and what was the name of the left tackle from Michigan State that went to play for the Packers quite a few years ago? Anyone remember who I am talking about? His name started with an M I think.....

5. JoeKnows

JoeKnows Resident CFL Writer

There is no way Walker could have met expectations in Minnesota. Just no way. That trade is probably still listed as #1 at GM school on what not to do.

Don't forget that Walker also dominated in his time in the USFL. You can make the argument that the USFL was inferior to the NFL in terms of talent, and overall, you would be right to a small extent, but remember, the USFL had all three Heisman Trophy winners (including Walker) to come out in the three seasons they took the field, and had other talent, such as Steve Young, Reggie White, and Jim Kelly, just off the top of my head, as well as having a devastating effect on the NFL drafts, by signing potential first round draft picks before the NFL draft was scheduled.

On another note, Bo Jackson did everything possible with his physical talent until it was destroyed by what should have, for all intents and purposes, been an athletic career-ending hip injury. He had a massive hip surgery done, and he continued to play baseball for a few more years, proving many doubters wrong. He also doesn't belong on this list by any stretch, regardless of his decision to choose millions in baseball over playing for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, a team Mike Ditka was calling the Pastel Patsies at the time.

6. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

[​IMG]

7. JoeKnows

The thread title said natural. :icon_cheesygrin:

8. Saintsfan1972

Saintsfan1972 BREESUS SAVES

hahaha...oops

9. BroncoBJ

BroncoBJ JayCutler4MVP!!!

I'd say Barry Sanders. He could have been great had he not retired at such a young age.

10. JoeKnows

I don't agree, because a Hall of Fame career is not a waste. He was already 30, and if you take a look at running back stats after 30 over the years, yes, maybe he beats out what Emmitt ended with, but I don't see the Lions benefiting too much from it, as they were on the downside with coaching and personnel already. For another thing, he may well have been close to breakdown point to begin with, and he knew his body better than the detractors did.

A true waste would be for someone to have that kind of talent and piss it all away with drugs or lack of desire.

11. BroncoBJ

BroncoBJ JayCutler4MVP!!!

I was joking :icon_cool:

IMO he probably is the greatest back ever. Just imagine how good he would have been with a good Oline back then. I never really got to watch him play though. :(
    But yea hes not a waste. Hes probably the best of all time.

But I would say Maurice Clarrett.
    I wanted him to be the next star in Denver.
    instead he never played a game. :(

12. DClark44

DClark44 Go Horse

Jeff George

Brian Bosworth

Steve Entmann

Drew Henson