Open Letter To Fans From Cavaliers Majority Owner Dan Gilbert

Discussion in 'Basketball Talk' started by 86WARD, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Damn Harv you hope that a player blows out his knee because he left a team and went somewhere else??? wow dude, that's just pathetic

2. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

Sweets:

Don't get me wrong. While I won't actively root for the Heat, at least this may keep the Fakers from winning another ring.

I still wonder why owners can be fined for tampering, why can't players?

3. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

Yea Lebron, Wade, and Bosh > Pierce, Allen, and KG.. But the Celtics had lot of role players around them. The Heat at this point do not.

4. Mr. D

Mr. D WINNING!!

I'm sorry that's like asking the Cubs to win a world series

or the Browns to win a super bowl

5. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

what tool this dude is.....what the Cavs shoulds done is gotten James some damn help to win in the post season...........you thought he could carry the team by himself and no one can do it byhimslef

6. Mr. D

Mr. D WINNING!!

Jordon did

7. Crowned

Crowned Doesn't give a shit.

LMAO.... you really think Jordan carried a team by himself? woooow

8. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

I disagree with you. Jordan had Pippen.

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

Wow coming from a Bulls fan? Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, their role players weren't shabby either...

10. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

Mostly, because he made it into a whole "look at me" spectacle. I would say they will make next season into a reality show, but I'm sure ESPN has that covered. He had every right to leave the Cavs, as much as I would have liked him to stay. It's not the loyal thing to do, but, whatever. I just think its bullcrap that the Cavs and their fans had to find out on national television. Real rod move. I'm happy they got some picks for him though.

As for the actual letter. I still can't believe its real. He's saying what a lot of fans are thinking, but it comes off pretty childish doesn't it? Discounting Lebron's fathead to the year Benedict Arnold was born is just hilarious though.

:icon_evil:
    How many have the Bengals won again? :icon_cheesygrin:

11. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Thinking he's more an MJ fan than a Bulls fan, Ward.

The Bulls championships were all solid teams with great chemistry with the role players.

12. andy82

andy82 Your Soul, It's Mine!

Can anyone name me any NBA player who carried a team all the way to a ring?

I think this is just Clevelanders clutching onto straws about the fact that their dead end team has lost it's homegrown superstar because it wasn't willing to help him win.

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

That makes more sense...

14. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

If the Cavs and their fans were that blind than they deserve to be left to their stupidity, as far as announcing it on TV the publicity actually helped kids.

Put off by the LeBron James spectacle? Here's a redeeming virtue.

Overlooked in the buzz over the NBA star's decision to exit Cleveland, and milk the announcement for prime-time ad dollars, is this news: LeBron James arranged to have all 'The Decision' proceeds donated to charity.
    yeah what a rod huh...Favre would keep the cash...

Put off by the LeBron James spectacle? Here's a redeeming virtue. - CSMonitor.com

FYI the Bengals have none but have played in 2 and lost against the 49ers both of which they almost won, the Browns have none and haven't even sniffed a bowl appearance...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  15. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

Sure, the Cavs needed more help & this year there's enough FAs out there that could have made a difference. It's a moot point if they would have but this isn't about not having leverage to push the Cav ownership.

The reason the Cavs lost this year was not cuz James couldn't carry the team alone. He tanked as bad as the rest of the Cavs. Superstars are supposed to rise above & James did not. Boston played well but they were there for the taking & the complete Cav team/coaches choked.

So let him go find a ring by finding guys like Wade, a proven clutch champion, cuz James hasn't proven he's cut from the same cloth as guys like Wade, Bryant, Pierce.

Plus a lot can be said of Brown being a decent coach but not come playoff time when it's more about game plans/adjustments. Different story when it's about seeing the same team for a 7 game series.

16. cpgobrowns

It's not just the Cavs. It's the Bulls, Knicks, Nets and really the rest of the NBA too. I heard about the charity. That was a good thing. So we've established that he's less of a rod than Favre. Set that bar high. I never said he was the antichrist. I said it was a rod move. It was. That makes him a rod. What would you be saying about him if he didn't pick the Heat?

I knew the answer. But I also know Mr D knew the answer. Thus the smiley face. :icon_cheesygrin:

17. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Would I be calling him a rod if he picked another team, nah but if he went to the Knicks I would close down GIF...lol...if as a 49er fan I can get over Montana going to the Chiefs, Lott and Rice going to the Raiders etc., the city of Cleveland and their citizens need to get over LeBron looking out for LeBron, what's wrong with that, does that make him a rod, hardly...if the team gets rid of it's players before they want to go is that a rod move??? I don't see the difference with LeBron leaving on his own after he played out his contract and the team trading or getting rid of a player they no longer want.

18. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

So, I don't care for Lebron. I think he's a giant ego maniac and that's going back to when he was like 14. I have friends from Akron who have had run in's with Bron Bron and his entourage numerous times. But he's going to go where his best chance to win a title is and right now that was Miami. Dan Gilbert got him the likes of a WAAAAY past his prime Shaq and an over rated Antwan Jamison to help him. Gonna need more than that.

Also, to everyone who says he's not a rod because he did the TV special for charity...really? You can't honestly believe that. The man already has enough money that his great grandkids can buy their own NBA franchises someday. If he was that worried about raising money, just sign somewhere and then sign over your first years contract to that charity. Don't try some bullcrap TV stunt and say it's "all for charity." The guys an ego maniac all the way from his dramatic baby powder throwing before games to calling himself "King James." There was NO reason to have a special on TV. When the greatest player of ALL time came back he simply sent out the fax reading "I'm Back." All Bron had to do was send a tweet saying "I'm the new King of South Beach" and I don't think this would have been as insane. Sure, Cleveland fans would be pissed, but it's as much Dan Gilberts fault as it is Lebrons. the NBA is a business and the smart business decision was to go to Miami. End of story.

19. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Does it really matter how he gives to charity, just because someone makes millions doesn't mean they owe anyone anything but the fact that he chose to give the money that the commercials brought in to charity is cool with me and yes, I don't think he's a rod...Do you really care that he calls himself King James, I mean in the great scheme of things will any of this make you lose sleep over it, not me...I don't walk in his shoes and I'm not going to speculate on how he lives his life.

20. cpgobrowns

Haha. I would support closing down GIF if he went to the Knicks. :icon_cheesygrin:
    But Montana was about to turn 37 when he got traded. Lott was 32, Rice was 38 when he left. LeBron is 25. That would have been 1987 for Jerry Rice. Comparing them to Lebron is ridiculous.
    From Rice's wikipedia page: In 1987, he was named the NFL's MVP by the Newspaper Enterprise Association (NEA) and the Pro Football Writers Association (PFWA) and the Offensive Player of the Year by the Associated Press (AP). In 1987, the runner-up to Jerry Rice in Touchdown receptions was Philadelphia Eagles receiver Mike Quick with 11. This marked the first time in NFL history that a category leader doubled the total of his nearest competitor.

Now, imagine if the Raiders, the Dolphins, the Giants, the Jets, and the 49ers all had to send marketing teams to Jerry Rice's "office" to compete for his services in 1988. And Jerry Rice didn't communicate with anyone except to say that "I'll announce my decision a week from now on ESPN, and you'll have to listen to Chris Berman talk about me for over a week" The Boys and Girls club might have gotten some more money. Maybe the Bengals would have gotten one of those Superbowls. At least the one where Jerry Rice was the MVP.
    Oh yeah, and Jerry Rice wasn't born in Northern California.