Packers Coach Mike McCarthy Standing By Struggling K Mason Crosby

Discussion in 'Green Bay Packers' started by Sweets, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Packers kicker Mason Crosby had another in a tough stretch of games Sunday, Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports. In the Packers’ 24-20 win over Detroit on Sunday, Crosby missed two key field goals — three counting the first of two 50-yard misses, which was nullified when the Detroit Lions called a timeout to ice him at the end of the first half.

Crosby has made only six of his last 13 official attempts, though he did hit an important 39-yarder with 19 seconds left that gave the Packers a four-point lead.

The misses were such an obvious issue that coach Mike McCarthy addressed them at the end of his opening statement to reporters after the game.

“I’ll address the field goal situation,†McCarthy said. “Mason’s got to put the ball through the uprights. That’s something that we’ve got to do a better job of. I thought Mason had a very good week of work; didn’t hit it today the way he needs to hit it, but we’ll continue with Mason. We will not blink as far as our commitment to him.â€

McCarthy, though, was firm in his support for Crosby, who went through a rough stretch in 2009 in which he missed six of 16 field goals late in the year.

“I thought that probably the best part about that dip (in ’09) was we supported him,†McCarthy said. “It’s just like anything in life professionally: You have the opportunity to work with an individual every day and you see what they’re about — their mentality, their commitment, their preparation leading up to it. I have no reasons not to believe in him. Now, I can see your pens are all writing and I understand he’s missing kicks in games. The bottom line is this is about performance on Sundays, and I have all of the confidence that Mason’s going to get that back, because we need him.â€

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  2. Badger

Badger Rookie

Yeah, Crosby has been sucking lately. He's a good kicker, they just need to get his confidence back. At the same time though, the clock is ticking on Crosby and if he continues to struggle they will have to look elsewhere. They cant afford him missing FGs late in the season.