QB Jay Cutler Would Consider Hometown Discount For Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Sweets, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

With a year left on a five-year deal that pays $8.47 million in 2013, Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said he'd consider taking a "hometown discount" to remain with the Bears because less money in a contract would mean more flexibility for the team in its efforts to acquire talent, Michael C. Wright of ESPN Chicago reports.

"I'm not gonna try to break the bank," Cutler said on ESPN 1000's "The Jay Cutler Show."

The discussion came as a result of Cutler's co-host Tom Waddle suggesting the quarterback take a veteran-minimum type of salary in his new deal.

"What kind of discount we talkin'?" Cutler asked.

Waddle replied, "50 percent off."

"Ah, c'mon," Cutler said, laughing. "We can talk like 5 or 10 (percent off), but 50? This isn't a going-out-of-business sale."

After the jokes, Cutler revealed he's thought about taking less money in a new deal because as a seven-year veteran, the quarterback has already earned plenty of money.

"I want to be on a successful team, and I know that paying one or two or three players premium (salaries) hurts your chances of being able to bring in extra talent," Cutler said. "So when we get there, we'll figure it out."

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  2. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

hes in a good situation with his boy marshall, if they keep one the need to keep the other period.

once they build an oline and get him another target he'll be great

3. Tarkus

Tarkus The Thread Stalker

If he lives that long...

4. misfitz

misfitz Dropping Twitter Bombs

Wow that was freaking hilarious.

5. codatious99

codatious99 cheese head

no doubt in my mind they will over pay cutler

6. DaBears22

DaBears22 Matt Forte = future MVP Staff Member

Hometown discount? Yeah it's easy to say that now but when the time comes to negotiate will he really take less money? I wouldn't lol.

7. SeanTaylor21

SeanTaylor21 TheKingofKind

He will he knows he needs Marshall and an Oline.