Raiders Reportedly More Than $25 Million Over Projected Cap Figure

Discussion in 'Oakland Raiders' started by SRW, Feb 29, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

ESPN reported earlier this month that the Raiders were $11 million over the projected salary cap for 2012. Now comes a report from ProFootballTalk.com that the Raiders are more than $25 million over the expected figure. The ProFootballTalk.com report pegs the Raiders at $145.7 million for their top 51 salaried players, the ones who count toward the cap for now. The projected cap is slightly more than $120 million, much the same as last season. By comparison, the Super Bowl champion New York Giants are the next most-cash-strapped team, at more than $129 million for their top 51 players.

Source: Oakland Tribune

2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Sweet Jesus

3. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Al Davis isn't dead, he will live with this crap for EVER!!!!!!

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

If so they will soon offer up their next three drafts for Stephen Hill

5. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

holy crap. what a mess.

6. Stinger75

Stinger75 It's Showtime, Folks!

If I'm not mistaken, these figures are what was projected at the end of last season... The team has cut a couple of the out of wack contracts. I don't doubt there will be more restructuring before the the start of the season.

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

They're paying a bunch of money to their kicker and punter, thats a pretty bad way to round out your cap.

8. cpgobrowns

cpgobrowns < Deer/Headlights

But they both went to the pro-bowl :dunno:

9. 86WARD

86WARD -

They have to cut some major names and it's still not going to be enough because of the contracts and pro-rated bonuses. Even releasing Wimbley, Tommy Kelly and Aaron Curry...you're not getting the cap space you need to get it done. Just those three and they are still in the neighborhood of $13M or so over. They are in "cap jail!". Not to mention they have little to no draft picks...lol.

10. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

But they're a championship team..

11. 86WARD

86WARD -

All the makings...

12. marty264

marty264 Team Veteran

So what happens when they are this much over the cap? Do they have to cut/trade players until they are under it?

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

Yeah. I think the date is March 13th when they have to be all the way under. Teams aren't allowed to be over for 5 minutes...

14. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

okay what happens if a team is unable to get below the cap?

15. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

they pay a luxury tax i believe. i would imagine if they kept doing it, they could start taking draft picks or something.