Rams Assistant Gregg Williams To Face Fine But Not Suspension

Discussion in 'St. Louis Rams' started by SRW, Mar 3, 2012.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

A NFL investigation revealed that former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was complicit in creating a "pay for performance" bounty system that rewarded Saints players for injuring opponents. Early indications are that Williams won't be forced to miss any games. Details via Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch: "One league source said Williams might be in line for a large fine but didn't think a suspension would be forthcoming. Then again, the source said, 'This is two strikes against him,' referring to controversial comments Williams made before Super Bowl XLIV (at the end of the 2009 season) about knocking Indianapolis quarterback Peyton Manning out of the game." Thomas added: "Another source said the expectations was that Williams' fine would be in six figures — perhaps as much as $250,000 — but that head coach Sean Payton and general manager Mickey Loomis would be penalized more heavily."

Source: CBS Sports

2. Dragonite

Dragonite Simply Arrogant!

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

How is it good? The man endorsed people to make season ending and career ending injuries. I hope he gets AIDS.

4. Dragonite

The man paid people to make hard hits, and take out the opponents best player. Its a strategy used in every level of violent professional sports. Hockey designates "bruisers" to do this, football players have been taught to take out the best player since pee wee. If my player took out Brett Favre on a legal hit I'd probably pay them too. Everyone does it, so unless you actually want the NFL to find anyone who has ever been involved in this and ban them for life than calm down.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

According to different reports, the money doesn't come from Williams...it comes from a "Kangaroo Court" type fund.

Pee Wee football players aren't taught to take out the best player...lol. :laughy32:

6. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

That is the most nonsensical bullcrap I have read in a while. This isn't the mighty ducks movie, there isn't a need to take out Adam Banks. Paying players to injure and purposely cheap shot is ludicrous. And no I am not over reacting, paying for good hits is one thing, but putting a bulls-eye on a mans head is bush league crap, and for the record, if anyone on the Dolphins did something like that, anyone, I would want the butthole off the team.

7. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

[​IMG]

8. Dragonite

You're still sticking to the whole nobody else does this in any other locker room bullcrap huh?

9. Steve12

Did I ever say that? please show me where I said this was an isolated incident. You keep saying that in every thread about this but no one has said he's theonly one that did it. But you're just going in blind reading what you want to read. I don't even know why I'm still writing this because you probably won't even read this far before you jump to a conclusion and put more words in my mouth. All I ever said was that Williams had done this on at least 3 different teams. He encouraged his players to try to seriously injure other players. That is the biggest butthole thing you can do, and he's never not done it. There should be no place in the league for a person like that.

And before you even say "omg like he's not the only one I personally know without a doubt for a fact everyone else does this" just stop. Williams has been caught doing it now. When everyone else gets caught then we'll deal with all of them. They don't let one criminal go just because other people have comited crimes and haven't been caught.

Now Jesus Christ open your eyes and read what people are actually saying before you try and tell people what they said.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  10. 86WARD

86WARD -

So because you "think" everyone else does it...which is quite possible and probably very likely, but you don't know it for a fact (you think you do, but let's be honest here...you don't) it makes it right?

I don't think there is one person on this board in all these Williams threads that said it never happens in their teams locker room. Actually, I said it was impossible for it to occur in the Steelers locker room...lol.

11. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

Just the same old bullcrap coming from Dragonite. Williams is a coach who paid his player to injure other players, he needs to be suspended for at least half a season. And you didn't respond to my little rant about if anyone on the Dolphins did something like this because it goes against you odd little nonsensical logic.

12. Dragonite

All you continue to say is that "he needs to be banned." why? Answer this.

1. Where the Saints ever considered a dirty team?
    2. Compared to other teams how many saints were fined for vicious "dirty hits"?
    3. How many injuries did the Saints ACTUALLY cause?
    4. Of those injuries how many were dirty hits?

Now tell me, if a player hits someone hard, and legal with the intent to injure is it any different from a hit from Ray Lewis or James Harrison?

This is a grown mans league, every hit is hard, every hit could injure.

Also MJ I did respond to you, I said not sure if serious, but now that I realize your being serious. Let me respond to you. Its commendable that you are sticking to your guns and saying you would call for your coaches head, but until this situation presents itself on your team I don't believe a freaking word you say. However, I will just say this, if this happened on any other team and not the Saints, I would say the same thing I am saying now.

Also "same old bullcrap from Dragonite" this statement is hilarious. Because all of you are saying the same crap you always say in response to me, so "same old bullcrap" from all of you too. How about we don't resort to attacking me as though I am an idiot with no sense. Considering your staff and this forum is a place for people to state their opinion. Yanno?

13. 86WARD

86WARD -

All those questions are irrelevant...

The fact that he is paying players to injure opposing players ON PURPOSE is a problem. Trying to hit someone hard and make a play (resulting in an injury) is totally different from trying to hit an opposing player and injure him for $1500.00. Making a clean tackle on a running back who has a history of ankle injuries and twisting his ankle at the end of the play...yeah...that's a "hard hit." lol...

14. Dragonite

Explain. Why are they irrelevant? Why is it different? You don't think that players go out there and think players go out there and hit hard thinking it will injure the opponent? The only difference is they got paid for it, they had incentive to hit someone hard. I am pretty sure when Ray Lewis sees a Wideout going across the middle he is thinking lets knock this guy out NOT "OMG BETTER MAKE SURE THIS HIT IS CLEAN AND LEGAL AND WON'T INJURE HIM"

Why not pay the defense to do what they do and give them extra incentive to play hard every down? A legal hit is a legal hit weather intent to injure or not. Still legal. Still clean. Still unsuspendable.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Why are they irrelevant? Because they obviously have nothing to do with the story.

Clearly Williams was running a bounty operation. "Clean team," "dirty team"...doesn't matter...trying to injure an opposing player on purpose is busch league. You could make a "clean" hit and cause injury just as easily a dirty hit. lol...

So you advocate the bounty and think it's alright? :laughy32:

16. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

What part of it's not just the hit it's the little extra put onto the hit to try and knock a player out of the game. But you don't seem to get that. It's not about a clean hit that injures. Since it's a hard concept to follow I will type it 20 times so maybe you will get the hint. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished. Williams payed players to injure players, which is unacceptable and he should be punished.

Maybe that will get a point across to you, if you can't get that then it's a tiresome exercise to get you to see the point.

17. 86WARD

86WARD -

He thinks it's fine that Williams paid players to injure other players. He will never get "it."

He also fails to see another posters point and that's why he gets the rap: "same old bullcrap." :laughy32:

18. Omen

Omen Speeling Be Champions Staff Member

I don't think he should be banned, suspended yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Steve12

I had to turn my computer on for this one.

Dragonite...

1. Those questions are 100% meaningless. For one, you don't even know the answers. And 2, none of them would change the fact that Williams had his players paid to injure other players.

2. "Every hit is hard, every hit can injure." Correct. It's a physical game. So? How does this make paying players to hurt other players ok? I fail to see how anything you're saying is really making an argument for what you're trying to say.

3. "However, I will just say this, if this happened on any other team and not the Saints, I would say the same thing I am saying now." I doubt this very very very much.

4. "Also "same old bullcrap from Dragonite" this statement is hilarious. Because all of you are saying the same crap you always say in response to me, so "same old bullcrap" from all of you too. How about we don't resort to attacking me as though I am an idiot with no sense. Considering your staff and this forum is a place for people to state their opinion. Yanno?" This is possibly the most hypocritical statement I've seen on this board to date. I have on multiple occasions seen you outright belittle people for having opinions that don't match up with yours. Calling them fools, idiots, or just outright dismissing them without a second thought. Activity like this does not at all welcome people to state their opinions or promote good conversation. We are all listening to your opinions and explaining our own. I don't feel like you do the same most of the time. As staff members it is our duty to maintain a forum where people can voice their opinion and have good feedback and counterarguments. We are here to promote conversation and keep people from stifling it.

5. "The only difference is they got paid for it, they had incentive to hit someone hard. I am pretty sure when Ray Lewis sees a Wideout going across the middle he is thinking lets knock this guy out NOT "OMG BETTER MAKE SURE THIS HIT IS CLEAN AND LEGAL AND WON'T INJURE HIM" That's a big freaking difference, dude. Getting paid to hurt somebody is different from Ray Lewis looking to make you fear coming across the middle. But if Lewis goes into that hit because he knows if he hecks this guy up bad enough there's 2grand waiting for him that's different. There's nothing morally wrong with a clean, big hit that happens to injure someone. It's the money for injury thing that makes this so bad.

For some reason you're not seeing the different between a clean hit that injures and a man on a $1500 mission to take a guy out.