Salary Cap Will Be $120M In 2011, Plus $21M Per Team In Benefits

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jul 14, 2011.

1. A source with knowledge of the NFL talks told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio on Thursday night that the negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement are headed toward a settlement. With the sides working at a frenzied pace, they reached a tentative agreement to make the 2011 salary cap $120 million, a source told ESPN.com NFL senior writer John Clayton. The players have been willing to accept a $141 million player cost number per team since February. By agreeing to a $120 million cap, the players are allowing $21 million a team in benefits. The owners talked about the "guaranteed spend" number representing close to 100 percent of the salary cap, multiple sources told Clayton.

Source: ESPN

2. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

Sooooo what's the floor?

3. I think it's somewhere between $105M-$110M since they are now required to spend more than 90 percent of the cap.....

Maybe a little more or less......

4. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

my guess is 93% or so of the cap.

5. Chris Mortensen: Twitter.com

6. Jason La Canfora: Twitter.com

7. 86WARD

86WARD -

If the GM's know the salary cap number, it could mean that if the NFLPA gets what they want, teams could negotiate with Free Agents and Rookies before the lockout is actually lifted.

8. I'm liking the progress made today.....

9. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

The Bucs are about to ball out in free agency! watch ur players lol

10. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

I was just about to post something like this. Bucs have spent $64.4M so far. If that floor is around $100M it should be interesting to see who we go after.

11. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

Do you think you guys will try to re-up some younger guys, be really agressive in FA's, mixture of both?

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I'm afraid some teams will re-up the younger players, at the same time over paying them...

13. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

A team on the cusp like them wouldn't be out of place in trying to find that missing piece of the puzzle. If Nnamdi wants to win, I think this might be a great spot for him to come to.

14. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

The Bucs defensive scheme doesn't fit a lockdown man on man CB so I don't see us shelling out the $$$ necessary to sign him.

But I'd sure as hell take him.

15. SRW

You get a cover man on one side like that and it frees up the defense to really get creative. That kind of talent would help the pass rush alone.

16. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

We'd have to change our base defense though.

17. SRW

Why? Why couldn't he come in and learn your scheme? He's talented enough to work in any scheme. Nnamdi, Talib (word is he has a "solid case" in his favor) and Barber would be as good a trio as there is anywhere in the league.

18. themush

themush iDIOT sAVANT

But $19M a year? To play in a zone defense?

19. SRW

Think of how he can improve the defense. Can it be enough to make them a division winner? Maybe get a ring? I think that team is poised but the Falcons and Saints are strong right when the Bucs are coming up.

20. 86WARD

86WARD -

No one is worth $19M...that's just insane.