Seahawks Rookie QB Russell Wilson Believes He Can Be An NFL Starter

Discussion in 'Seattle Seahawks' started by Sweets, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

Seattle's incumbent starter Tarvaris Jackson didn't play in the Seahawks preseason opener last week, and coach Pete Carroll already has said that, once again, Matt Flynn will play the first half of Saturday's contest against the Broncos and rookie Russell Wilson will take over for the second. In the past, Carroll has said he knows what Jackson can do for him, but as CBSSports.com's Jason La Canfora reported Wednesday, the Seahawks likely will try to trade Jackson next week following the second preseason game (they won't beforehand, presumably for insurance in case Flynn or Wilson get hurt). But Wilson was so buoyed by what he accomplished in his first game, a 27-17 win vs. the Titans in which he went 12 for 16 for 124 yards, a touchdown and an interception (along with a team-high 59 rushing yards and another score on three carries), he feels confident enough to say he's moved closer to becoming an NFL starter. “You take one step at a time, one day at a time, one rep at a time and you just improve,â€￾ he told KJR in Seattle (via sportsradiointerviews.com). “You respect the process and that's the biggest thing is just respecting the process and taking one day at a time and just learning as much as I can. I'm on a constant quest for knowledge and just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can so when I do get that opportunity I just keep growing. I know there's going to be ups and downs, it's a process like I said, and always in a process there's ups and downs but as long as I keep moving forward, that's the key.â€￾

Source: CBSSports

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. TheDuke

TheDuke Breast Man

I'd hope so. How many people say "Man, I think I'd make an amazing 3rd string QB" in the NFL? Everyone thinks they'd be an amazing starter and if they say anything otherwise they're full of crap. Well, unless they're Koy Detmer.

3. AtlantaBlazer

AtlantaBlazer Knuckles The Echidna's Brother

I think he really can be in due time. I think they're less encouraged by Matt Flynn the more they see of Wilson, I would say if Flynn is anything less than stellar for them this year, they find a way to usher in the Wilson era

4. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Had a good college career, and appears to be making the right moves/impressions/throws in camp.

5. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

The only really thing that holds Wilson back is his height, guys like Flutie and Brees can get it done so can this guy, just need to have him moving often in the pocket so he can see.