Steelers Restructure WR Antonio Brown's Contract

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Steelers' started by Sweets, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Sweets

Sweets All-Pro

The Pittsburgh Steelers have restructured wide receiver Antonio Brown's contract, Ian Rapoport of NFL Network and NFL.com reports. This according to a source who has seen the deal said Wednesday, giving the team more than $3 million in cap space.

Brown now has a base salary of $650,000 and will receive a $3.85 million signing bonus, which will be spread out over the balance of the five-year deal.

Source: The Redzone

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  2. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Am I wrong or is all this restructuring getting a little out of hand? Didnt he just sign this deal during last season?

Maybe I'm wrong but perhaps there eventually needs to be some restriction on how often or how quickly deals like this can be restructured. It just seems like some teams, even if they're smart by doing it, are working the system by reworking so frequently.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

WR Antonio Brown, Pittsburgh Steelers Restructure Contract

Basically if you have a player for "life" you can pretty much manipulate the contract to count whatever you want whenever you want. Until the guy retires and it's off the books.

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

That's what I'm saying, maybe the way that system works in effect needs to be looked at. I don't see a reason why a long-term contract just signed last season or whatever should be able to be renegotiated to shift money off the books basically right after the deal was made. Just seems like a shady way of doing things.

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

I tend to agree. It's a loophole that teams are exploiting to get around the "cap." That's why they always refer to these guys as banks. The Steelers have yet to hit up the bank of Roethlisberger. Once they get his deal restructured/extended, they'll free up a bunch more cash.

6. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

I mean if they're acting within the rules and doing it successfully, more power to them. But if its being abused, like it sure as crap seems to be, it needs to be corrected by the league.

7. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

they gave him all that money much too soon. Hes reason #1 lewis wont be back