Super Bowl XLVII: San Francisco 49ers Vs Baltimore Ravens (Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 2013)

Discussion in 'NFL Gameday' started by SRW, Jan 20, 2013.

?

Who Will Win Super Bowl XLVII?

1. San Francisco 49ers

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. Baltimore Ravens

19 vote(s)
    51.4%
  1. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

kate and jennifer anniston are the 2 hottest women around my age...... they are my favorites

2. smeags

smeags militant geek

Put the lotion down capt

3. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Not really, it's not like the Ravens have some 2001esque defensive monster of a team. They're decidedly middle-of-the-pack at this point. The Packers, who you claim to have "no defense" were better than the Ravens this year.

Oh, and 2/3 Ravens playoff wins came against the 25th and 26th ranked defenses in the league, so the point you were trying to make, while not valid, is equally applicable to them as well.

4. ram29jackson

ram29jackson sports spectator

I'm not playing any game. Of course the AFC QBs I speak of have longer successful histories then the the 2 NFC QBs.

when you are a 8 game starter you simply dont have the same connection / rapport with the people you play with. A QB doesnt really know a teams true philosphy and system till he is 3 years into it. A multiple year veteran can simply process more info in his head on the fly then any 8 game starter. Dont tell me Kaep will be able to make as many reads and audibles as Flacco will be able to. He simply cant. That is a clear disadvantage.

obviously Ray Lewis being injured affected their season but he directs the defense and is back. He is old and slow and yet has a majority of tackles in the playoffs.

I'm not interested in any back and forth LOL its just sports. And I hope you arent making it personal ?

I am stating a simple truth. A multi year veteran who has been in many more playoff games then a 8 game starter has a distinct advantage.

5. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

how the heck does a d shut down another team's d?

6. ram29jackson

they beat the Broncos who's defense is ranked 3rd statistically against run and pass which is more impressive then the Packers and Falcons I would imagine. My point is incredibly valid.

2001 has nothing to do with now and I'm not referring to it. The Ravens defense is obviously currently still damn good or they wouldnt be in the here and now LOL

7. ram29jackson

:icon_smile: wheres the ball?

8. MadMoxxiFavGun

MadMoxxiFavGun Going Crazy

dude go watch some freaking games. kaep has been making audibles since start one. crabtree's break out year wouldnt really happen with out kaep and they have a very good connection. kaep does not look like any 1st year starter i have ever seen. the man has the poise and he is only starting to climb the mountain. there is no other qb i would rather have then kaep. he truly has it.

9. ram29jackson

10. Walnuts

Walnuts All-Pro

Ray has also played in more playoff games than anyone else not on the Ravens, so the leading in tackles stat is completely irrelevant. Your "3 years in the system" claim is also irrelevant here because Flacco has been in his current "system" less time than Kaepernick has been a starter when it comes down to it. Regardless, it's ludicrous to claim that x amount of time in the league or in an offense is required to become proficient at reading defenses or making audibles (both of which Kaepernick has been outstanding at thus far), as there's way too many variables involved to ever be able to quanitfy that as fact. Some quarterbacks get it quickly, some slowly, some never really do at all. It's hardly out of the question to think that one person might be naturally more intelligent and quicker to learn, grasp, and understand a concept than someone else who's been doing it longer.

It's obvious to anyone with any sense of objectivity that Kaepernick is picking things up as fast as anyone, and probably much faster than most. He stays cool under pressure, doesnt get flustered when he's behind, runs a far more involved and advanced offensive playbook than the "veteran" he replaced, and week in and out continues to make people like you look foolish for doubting him. Your predictions and analysis about him and the league in general have been laughably out of touch and off-base for the most part so far but keep on grinding it out. Maybe one day you'll open your eyes.

11. ram29jackson

you are obviously young and inexperienced as well. I was referring to the amount of Tackles by Lewis in the recent playoff games, nothing more.
    You cant evaluate how good/great a player is in 8 lousy games. He has proven nothing yet. He has been a pleasant surprise but nothing more yet.
    LOL at my analysis being off base. Its based on history repeating itself which often happens. I said no Rookie QBs would make the SB and thats exactly what happened. You just seem to be an angry homer fan taking things personal that you shouldnt need to. You disagree with me, thats all there is to it.

any coach and player will disagree with you. Experience is and forever will be better then lack of experience in any and all things including starting QB. It takes 3 years to truly know a full playbook. Great QBs have been quoted as saying so. No, Flacco did not get a whole new system this year. I am sure most of the base philosphy of the offense has been the same for much longer then that.

dude, you are 34 years old. Why are you needing to argue like a child with me as though i'm insulting your best friend? Dont need to take it personal. Calm down.

12. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Yes, experience is a good thing to have, but let's take a look at the past 15 SBs, shall we?

XLVI - Eli vs Brady. Brady was the superior QB, having played since the 2001 season and played 4 SBs prior to this one. Eli had been playing since 2004 and had played in only 1 other SB.

XLV - Rodgers vs Roethlisberger. Rodgers (drafted in 2005) began playing regularly in 2008 IIRC. Roethlisberger had 2 SBs in his belt and started since his rookie year 2004.

XLIV - Brees vs Peyton. Brees was an afterthought in SD, having played since 2001. It was his first SB, playing for a team he signed with in 2006. Peyton had the same freaking system since his rookie season in 1998.

XLIII - Warner vs Roethlisberger. Warner had played in 2 SBs previously, with the Rams. Began taking actual snaps in the NFL in 1999. Roethlisberger had played in only 1 SB before this, and had 5 years of experience.

XLII - Eli vs Brady. Manning in his fourth season and 1st big game, Brady had won 3 SBs prior to this one.

XLI - Peyton vs Grosshahahahahaa... sorry. I won't even get in details for this one. This is the first game you can say the more experienced QB won. BTW, this was the 2006 season, 6 years ago.

XL - Roethlisberger vs Hasselbeck. First SB for both guys, but Ben was considerably younger, this was only his second season. Yeah, like Kaepernick, you know; he had more games started, but still, second season as a pro.

XXXIX - Brady vs McNabb. Donovan was older, but this was his first SB. Brady had won 2 previously. Score the second one for the experienced QB.

XXXVIII - Brady vs Delhomme. Again, Delhomme was older, but Brady had the big game experience. Score the third one for experience.

XXXVII - Brad Johnson vs Rich Gannon. Brad was younger, and none of them had previous SB experience.

XXXVI - Brady vs Warner. One of the biggest upsets. Brady was the young guy who managed the game; Warner had trashed the league since 1999 and had a championship to his name. By the way, Brady was in his second season and only had a handful of starts, just a little more than those of Kaepernick.

XXXV - Dilfer vs Collins. Dilfer was drafted one year before Collins, although the latter had more playoffs games. I'll call it on Dilfer. 4th one for experience.

XXXIV - Warner vs McNair. Yes, Warner was older, but had no NFL experience prior to this season. McNair was named the starter in 1997.

XXXIII - Elway vs Chandler. No contest. Elway hands down. Score 5 for experience.

XXXII - Elway vs Favre. Again. 6 for experience.

So, in the last 15 Superbowls, the more seasoned QB won in 6 of those games. The other 9 times, the "fresh" guy (so to speak) was the winner. In 2 of those ones, the QB was in only his second season, just like Colin Kaepernick. So again, why is it such a big issue, even after:

a) Bouncing back from a early pick-6 in his first career playoffs game, against a SB winning colleague.
    b) Carrying the team on his back to come back from a 17-pt deficit in a Championship game, on the road, on a loud dome.

13. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

Fez for the win ........... damn, good post dude. awesome breakdown.

14. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Yeah, I stayed 20 mins after my checkout time at work, just researching and posting that. Gimme a damn cookie. :icon_cheesygrin:

15. ram29jackson

this is all fascinating but entirely too simplistic in trying to debate a basic truth.
    I am talking about a 9 game starter compared to a guy playing multiple years.

Your Warner example doesnt apply. He was older and had plenty of wide ranging football experience before his first super bowl. And a full season.

Eli Vs Brady; what the heck does that have anything to with now? they were both established veterans before meeting.

Elway vs Favre, and all the rest are veteran match ups that dont have anything to do with the current example of this years QB match up

a guy who played 9 games is not the same as comparing a match up between a 6 and 10 year guy.
    Its just the internet practice of looking up stats and throwing them out there.

the only example that remotely applies is Brady's first Super Bowl and that is a very rare occurance.

please use some critical thought. Comparing Dilfer To Collins has absolutely nothing to do with this. They were both established veterans no matter who had more years. You are trying way to hard for such a simple formula.

There really is no example that compares to this except when Ferragamo started for the Rams in 79.

But thanks for the history lesson. Makes me want to search youtube for a few games

I hope not to sound rude or insulting. We are just talking sports here . Kaepernick with his age and game experience has simply never ever happened before and doesnt compare to any of your examples.

if SF wins, wonderful ! I like football and dont hate any teams.

I simply believe the smart money is not on a team with a 9 game starter.
    No matter how big his hype is.

Viva la football ! :emoticheerleader:

16. ram29jackson

granted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  17. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Re: Super Bowl XLVII: San Francisco 49ers Vs Baltimore Ravens (Sunday, Feb. 3rd, 2013

Too simplistic? Kinda like "young quarterbacks cant win"?

18. ram29jackson

the correct term is "won't" :icon_smile: j/k

19. Fez

Fez Chicharooney!!!

Now, of course, if you're strictly trying to find examples of starters with 9 games under their belts facing a veteran, you're not going to find many (if any) similar cases, given that the SB is played once a year. :icon_cheesygrin:

None of it was against top competition, come on. Are you really going to compare a full season in the NFL to the likes of Northern Iowa, the AFL and NFL Europe? Come on now. Who did you quote about a QB being able to digest a playbook after three seasons? Why the two orders, colonel?

They were the second time. The first time? Eli was slowly being labeled a bust because he couldn't crack 80-pt QBR, until that Giants team in 2007 got hot and made their SB run. Even so, what side would your "smart money" be on? The 4th year shaky veteran with no prior SB appearances, or the 3-time SB Champion who had just broken the all-time regular season scoring record? I thought so.

Probably not. But I felt I'd be cheating my own point if I just dismissed those matchups.

But it can happen, right? And Brady, a 2nd-year QB who was primarily asked to not heck-up, was facing a former SB MVP, two years removed from a record-setting season. Kaepernick has a much bigger role in the offense than Brady had that season.

You mean something like I'll take the veteran over the guy with 9 starts because the vet has played in more games? Oh I see.

The same way there is no example that compares to this, as a convincing argument to take Joe Flacco over Colin Kaepernick. Who cares if Kaepernick bounced back from a first-drive pick-6 to beat a juggernaut team led by a former SB MVP; who cares if Kaepernick brought the team back from a 17-pt deficit on the road in the NFC Championship game. All that matters is that Joe Flacco has been in the league longer, therefore the smart money is on him. Uhm, yeah. That settles everything.

Yeah, Flacco has played very well this offseason. I thought the Ravens were one and done after losing Webb and having nicked up Suggs and Ray. They beat the Colts, alright. They survived a war at Peyton Manning's home. They defeated Tom Brady at Foxboro. You know who else defeated Tom Brady at Foxboro this season? Kevin Kolb and *drum roll* Colin Kaepernick. In fact, Kaepernick not only beat them, he took the living crap out of them in the first half.

If your point had any value, then Joe Flacco had no shot at beating the Broncos or Patriots, either, right? And Green Bay should have cruised over San Francisco, too.

20. ram29jackson

yes, it is a simple truth that is very seldom wrong. More games means more experience. More experience means more well versed in many more situations.
    I already explained myself. Its trivial sports fun, I'm not doing a research paper about it. The odds are in the Ravens favor because the 9ers have a semi-rookie QB.

Your mistake is thinking thats how I would evaluate every single SB, basing it on QB experience ? No, It is applying to this one and this one only. The other SBs you mention I evaluated in different ways for different reasons.

I thought Pitt would beat the Cards because it was obvious they had more post season experience.

I thought the pack would beat the Steelers because the Steelers were a little older and a little more beat up and GB was obviously faster.

Last year I said who ever wins the GB-NY game wins the SB. As it turned out, I was right LOL

Kaepernick is still the most questionable part of that team. He is going to be the reason they win or lose this game. He surprised The Packers but he didnt surprise the Falcons. As bad as the Falcons defense is, he didnt go off on them.

I really dont think you want to see him run past the line of scrimmage against the Ravens, that may not be too wise?