Texans Sign Free Agent FS Ed Reed To A Two-Year Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by SRW, Mar 20, 2013.

1. SRW

SRW Ex-World's Worst Site Admin

After saying repeatedly that he wanted to remain with the Ravens, Ed Reed found more money and more interest elsewhere.

Reed, one of the Ravens’ defensive standouts for over a decade and one of the most accomplished safeties in NFL history, has agreed to terms on a two-year with the Houston Texans, according to a league source.

The agreement, first reported by CBSsports.com, finalizes an aggressive recruiting pitch by the Texans to acquire the 34-year-old.

A Raven for 11 seasons, Reed is the sixth key defensive player to exit Baltimore following the Super Bowl and the seventh starter overall.

His departure and the release of Bernard Pollard leave the Ravens without their two starting safeties from last season.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
  2. 86WARD

86WARD -

Good for Houston...can't say I'm not happy to see him go. More so than Lewis...

3. ICECOLD

ICECOLD 1st Stringer

It'll be interesting to see which of these FA-happy teams actually does anything compared to the teams the FAs left

4. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

5. K Train

team is getting GUTTED. Loss kruger, lewis, boldin, reed, elerbe, cary williams

gained joe flaccos takeover of 1/4 of their cap, and chris canty

6. Jihad Joe

Jihad Joe Life to Infidels

Marcus Spears too lol

Good 2007 DL

Sent from my HTC Vivid

7. markaz

markaz Resident Cards Fan Staff Member

Reminds me of the Cards. One SuperBowl in 2008, then the playoffs in 2009 and adios to Warner, Boldin, Antonio Smith, Karlos Dansby, et al.

8. CaptainStubing

CaptainStubing Gave her a Dirty Sanchez

No question Ozzie has his work cut out rebuilding this team. We will see just how good he is

9. CStevenson13

CStevenson13 1st Stringer

From a sentimental standpoint it's hard to see Ed go but as far as play not so much. His intangibles, rep and instincts still make him a playable FS but his gambling playing style with his dwindling range and lack of tackling(22 missed tackles last season) but it was time for us to move on.

Funny thing is people make statements like this without doing their homework. Flacco's cap number this season is 6.8 million, next year it's 8 and change, the follwing year it's in the teens and then the 4th yr is in the 20's and thats when they restructure.

We are 7 million and change under the cap as we speak, these decisions have nothing to do with Flacco and they arent anything new. Oz watches every practice, then watches tape of it, every game, he analyzes these guys daily. He puts a number on them and rarely does he go over.

The guys we lost were all overpaid or in Cary Williams case not vitally important. We always lose guys, we lost a bunch last year and won the SB. This is a difference set of circumstances but it remains the same approach.

He certaintly does, no way around that...Oz is one of the best in the business and always has a plan. I expect him to continue to let the market settle and grab a couple more bargain signings and then do well in a draft where we have 12 picks. You'll see a more athletic team on both sides of the ball. Let's not forget with Caldwell and Flacco this is the best this offense has ever been and i expect that to raise another notch with a whole offseason to tweak things. At the end of the day i expect the Ravens to be in contention again like they've been the last several years.

10. K Train

i get the logistics of it, i just think letting all those guys walk to invest heavily in flacco is a big mistake. Its the nature of the business though, i just dont see it working out well for them initially at least

11. CStevenson13

That's what im explaining, letting those guys walk had nothing to do with Flacco...

Kruger was a backup, he doesnt play the run well enough to be a starter thus you dont pay him 40 million dollars

Ellerbe is a good ILB, plays the run well, great blitzer, not very good in coverage. You cant pay an ILB 7 million dollars unless he's great or close to it

You cant pay Cary Williams if you have multiple equal caliber players on the roster already that cost you less money

I honestly dont know if the even wanted Reed back

Boldin you could argue, he certaintly wasnt worth his cap number before that playoff performance, he was very underwhelming besides that. Oz had a number in his mind for him and wasnt gonna live in the moment of the run he had.

None of these things have anything to do with Flacco's contract, which his agent even admitted is basically a 3 yr deal

12. K Train

this is what i found interesting....because aside from flaccos very same playoff run he was also very underwhelming in the regular season, and boldin had A LOT to do with that same playoff run. It doesnt have to do with my pure disdain for the ravens as much as it has to do with i dont think flacco is going to be able to even flirt with living up to the richest contract in NFL history, hes not that special of a player, but gutting the team out is going to prove that much earlier than you think.

we'll see though, all we'll be hearing next year is whether or not flacco is elite, and if we have to still hear it from flacco it will be pretty safe to say he isnt

nature of the business though, thats the going rate for a QB....packers did the smart thing and extended rodgers now so he wont cost them $30+ million a year if he get near the end of his current deal

13. CStevenson13

When Jim Caldwell took over for Cam Cameron at the end of the regular season Flacco had 15 TD's 1 Int, and a passer rating over 100. This wasnt due to him getting hot or eating some magic beans. Caldwell actually made it a 21st century offense with motions, diverse route combos, no huddle, etc. I cant stress enough to you how much different things were. Most importantlyhe gave Flacco the keys to the car. You couple that with Mckinnie finally getting the LT job and that's why he excelled. Those will be the same reason he'll continue to. Is he a top 5 QB? Nope, but certaintly elevated himself into that next tier, i think his best football is coming. have