The 2020 offseason thread

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by TJ, Feb 7, 2020.

1. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

This will be a very interesting offseason. The free agent QB crop is unprecedented which might also include the so-called GOAT, although I still think he'll remain in New England.

The Cowboys have half a team out of a contract and I wish I was joking. Prescott and Cooper are the locks to be re-signed, or even tagged...the rest, now that's another story...

And there are the owner meetings where they will f......they will keep fixing the rules, I guess :D

DawkinsINT likes this.
  2. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

It's highly likely that starting next season we'll get 17 games, plus one additional playoff team per conference, giving a 1st round bye to the 1-seed only.

I always thought the NFL model of 32 teams, 16 games, 12 playoff teams was absolutely perfect and needed no fixing (or maybe I just love even numbers). I'm not sure how I feel about this yet. Guess I'll have to see it in action to have an opinion.

Thoughts?

3. DawkinsINT

DawkinsINT Tebow free since 9/5/2015.

I was initially against it, but I do know that I will absolutely love having a wild card weekend of 3 games on Saturday and 3 on Sunday. The possibility of teams with losing records making it in will greatly improve which is a minus, but it will keep more of the last couple week's games really important and interesting.

I dislike having a 17th game more than the playoff expansion. It will give such an advantage for players going forward to break long records.

TJ likes this.
  4. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

The worst part of a 17-game schedule is no more .500 seasons. Or maybe that's the best part. Now you're either good or bad, no more mediocre teams, and maybe Jason Garrett wouldn't have coached for a full decade with 3 straight losing seasons instead of 3 straight .500 seasons.

I don't like it...it feels unbalanced...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  5. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Well, it's been an eventful start of free agency, to say the least. The biggest news is Tom Brady announcing he's not going back to New England. End of an era, for sure. Where will he end up? I'll probably answer to myself in the next hours.

Dallas lost Byron Jones, Robert Quinn and Randall Cobb so far, but at least we managed to keep Cooper (the good way) and Dak (the bad way). I can't believe Jerry Jones, of all people, hasn't been able to strike a deal with Dak's agents. Jerry Jones!! Come on, he pretty much gives away free money to his homegrown players! I can't decide if Jerry doesn't have the final word anymore, or Dak's demands are just ridiculous. Or maybe both.

In Carolina, Cam Newton is out, and Teddy Bridgewater is in.

In Tennessee Ryan Tannehill is coming back.

This is getting good...

6. DawkinsINT

I haven't been able to keep up today since work is crazy with so many changes happening with Coronavirus. I was very disappointed to hear that the Eagles and Malcolm Jenkins could not come to an agreement. He's not nearly as good as used to be in coverage but he does so many other things well and he's a true leader.

I really like their signing of Hargrove though. They will have such a great defensive line rotation to help out the back end.

I hope that Foles doesn't somehow end up in New England. I would hate that so much.

TJ likes this.
  7. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Dallas has also lost Malik Collins (a defensive tackle I really liked...insanely underrated) and Jason Witten. Both to the Raiders.

So we had 25 free agents two days ago and have only managed to keep 2, and one with the franchise tag. We had 90 million in cap room. What the heck?!?! Jarwin doesn't count as he was a restricted free agent.

Oh, yeah...word on the Internet says Tom Brady will sign with Tampa.

8. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Don't worry, Dawk. Foles has been traded to the Bears for a 4th round pick. This is probably the end of the Trubisky era.

9. DawkinsINT

This is almost as bad. I have hated the Bears since the fog bowl. Only a 4th round pick...good move by the Bears.

10. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

TJ and DawkinsINT like this.
  11. DawkinsINT

Eagles trade a 3rd & 5th for Darius Slay. 3 year deal. He's 29 and I'm not sure how good he's going to be in 2 years, but they needed to make a move like this. I'm down with it.

12. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

I'm just glad you didn't sign Byron Jones. It would've been hard for me to see that...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  13. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

14. DawkinsINT

Rams cut Gurley....

TJ likes this.
  15. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Somebody should overpay for him right now before the Chiefs get him.

16. DawkinsINT

One year deal with the Falcons.

17. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Wait...the same Falcons who cut Davonta Freeman to get out of salary cap hell?

Ok, then...

DawkinsINT likes this.
  18. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

TJ likes this.
  19. TJ

TJ Dez Caught It

Good read, Chump.

As in everything, and because I honestly don't know who to believe anymore, there are two outcomes for this: everything will return to normal within a year, or nothing will ever be the same again...and there's no middle ground. I'm in the "nothing will be the same" side of the argument, by the way...

And it doesn't apply just to sports. Concerts are in the same boat. Just last weekend I was supposed to go see one of my favorite bands, but the concert was cancelled weeks ago. Now we see them in youtube live. Going to a concert from the confort of my living-room. What a concept!!

20. SportsChump

SportsChump Well-Known

Yea, brother.

I had tickets to see the Black Crowes coming up here in July and was also slated to see GnR.

Oh well.

TJ likes this.