Threat Made By NFL Players Caused Owners To Make Compromises On New CBA?

Discussion in 'NFL General Discussion' started by BigBlueBruiser, Jul 15, 2011.

1. There was a conference call on Wednesday with key members of the NFLPA and the mood was dire. Some players walked away from the call thinking not only was a deal not close, some felt the talks were perilously close to ending. Then, something happened. It turned everything around but most importantly it forced the owners to make serious concessions, first, on the rookie wage scale, and then later on other issues. Mike Freeman of CBS Sports was told the owners didn't conceede out of the goodness of their hearts and the players made a threat that scared the hell out of the owners (and Freeman doesn't think it was court related), but no one will tell him what the threat was.

Source: CBS Sports

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  2. Steve12

Steve12 The night is dark and full of terrors

Whatever it takes. I dont care what the threat was. It worked and thats all that matters.

3. 86WARD

86WARD -

Whatever gets it done.

4. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

Interested to hear though...

5. 86WARD

86WARD -

Very. Possibly threaten to sit James Harrison down at the table across from Goodell?

6. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

What could they possibly have said?

'Well we just won't come to work next year. We really don't need the money.'

I call bullcrap. I think both sides had to give in on some issues or the sake of not losing the season (which would have had a monumental negative impact on ALL of them). The players had and still really have no leverage.

7. TheSnowman

TheSnowman #1 Trap Star

They had to have some card up their sleeve, even if not an ace. Why else would the owners stop being cocksuckers all of a sudden?

8. mj1987us26

mj1987us26 Super

I'll be like that kid jason4mla. I have a "source" that says the players threat was that they had all the owners at a strip club in the VIP room doing some illegitimate baby making. My source is in my mind and there is absolutely no water in anything I said, but my source says it's true.

9. According to Domonique Foxworth, that 'ace-in-the-hole' was an NFLPA secret fund that would pay each player $200,000 in 2011.....something DeMaurice Smith secured that would go into effect if there wasn't any football this year.

Got to hand it to Smith......securing that policy turned out to be their 'trump card' to spark negotiations.

10. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

If that's true, BBB..that's amazing. Whatever it was..I'm glad it worked. Let's get some NFL football going..

11. When push came to shove:

[​IMG]

12. 86WARD

86WARD -

I heard the same. Smooth move by Smith...

13. Chris Mortensen: Twitter.com

Chris Mortensen: Twitter.com

NFLPA gave the NFL the "Royal Flush"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5cwCOWCOg]‪Royal flush‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  14. Chipper10

Chipper10 Back 2 Back! Roll Tide Roll!

Game. Set. Match. Good job, NFLPA.

15. 86WARD

86WARD -

Owners made a HUGE concession giving back 4 OTAs to help with player safety...lol. I'd be willing to bet 24 out if the 32 owners had no idea how many OTAs there were to start with.

16. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

So the NFLPA had

$200,000 x ~50 players on a team x 32 teams = $320,000,000 ready to hand out to the players?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I woulda called bluff, but don't matter to me. This whole freaking mess just needs to end already.

17. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

All of this will be interesting to see when the next few regular seasons start up. How many more injuries will there be because the guys aren't in the shape they were in the previous years with those extra OTAs? Four less opportunities for injury but could bite them in the butt come gamedays.

18. 86WARD

86WARD -

How many injuries actually occur during OTAs?

19. bigsexyy81

bigsexyy81 Muffin Top

Depends. If we are talking some of the earlier ones (which they will likely be cutting those out because they are not as close to the actual season), I'm pretty certain there aren't too many.

20. K Train

K Train Do You Honeycutt?

ive heard the insurance policy a few places....brilliantly held out by smith and forced the owners to panic