Troy Aikman Says Donovan McNabb Facing Eagles "An Emotional Experience"

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Eagles' started by BigBlueBruiser, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman never experienced what it will be like to be in Donovan's McNabb's football shoes Sunday, returning to play against his long-time team for a hated divisional rival, and that's because Aikman turned down that chance. The three-time Super Bowl-winning Dallas Cowboys quarterback got a November 2002 call from Philadelphia Eagles coach Andy Reid asking if he'd come out of retirement after then-Eagles quarterback McNabb threw four touchdowns on a broken ankle in a 38-14 route of the Arizona Cardinals. "Andy called me when Donovan went down in 2002," Aikman said. How strange would it have been for the former Cowboy who retired in 2001 to don Eagles green, silver, black and white? "That would have been different," the Fox Sports lead analyst said with a laugh. Different captures the essence of Sunday's Washington Redskins— Philadelphia Eagles "Redemption Bowl" for McNabb, the Eagles quarterback for 11 seasons who will come out of Philadelphia's Lincoln Financial Field tunnel as a Redskin six months after a stunning intra-divisional trade. "I just hope I walk out of the right tunnel," McNabb said this week. His homecoming reminds Aikman of Brett Favre's Nov. 1, 2009, return to Lambeau Field after 16 seasons as the iconic Green Bay Packers quarterback who led Green Bay's hated rival Minnesota Vikings to a 38-26 win. "I have to believe this is going to be an emotional experience for Donovan," said Aikman, who will call Sunday's game. "Last year, we had Brett Favre going back to Lambeau. Now Donovan's going to show up at the stadium in a bus, dressing in the visitor's locker room. And he's going to get a different fan reaction."

Source: USA Today

2. phiglesphan

phiglesphan BANNED

As much as I hate that Michael Vick is the QB for my team and as sick as it makes me to have root for him watching Aikman as an Eagle would have truly made me boycott football.

3. ragman

ragman Pro Bowler Fantasy Guru

You aren't the only one that's unhappy about Vick. I read an item in my local newspaper today about a husband and wife who haven't been to the Linc for Eagles games since Vick signed with the Eagles, and won't return there until Vick is no longer on the roster. Their seats cost $2,000 annually on top of a $20,000 seat license.

BTW, this is an AP story. The woman's name is Debbie Sanville. She is a teacher who runs a Dowingtown, Pa. animal rescue.